Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Area Very Small

Beans

Desktop Area Very Small

Just installed copy of 8.10 on an older (P4) Toshiba laptop. Everything went perfectly except that the desktop is tiny. it only uses about 2/3 of the screen, leaving a wide black border around the desktop. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Desktop Area Very Small

While I haven't come across this problem myself, it sounds similar to an issue I've had in the past with laptops and external displays that have a different resolution. Try fn-F5 (or the particular combo you'd use on that laptop to change to an external display), give it a second and if it doesn't work repeat a couple of times.

Beans

No luck Josh. Fn keys don't do anything. Weird. Installed on my wife's laptop also, no problem with the display on hers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This may sound silly, but have you tried adjusting height and width from the monitor itself?
    Ubuntu Release 12.04
    Kernel Linux 3.0.0-16-generic
    Pentium dual core 3.00GHz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know about on a laptop, but my free-standing monitor has an auto/select button that self-corrects these types of issues. Perhaps your laptop has a similar key combo or F-Key that could do the same. Check with Toshiba's documentation for your particular model.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Could you post a screenshot of exactly what you are seeing. Press the PrtScn button, save the image, upload to your next post. Thanks

Beans

The print screen only shows the area of the monitor that is being used, and not the black, unused area around it. This laptop has a 15" monitor. When I load Ubuntu, the usable, 'lit up' desktop measures 9.5" diagonally. The computer seems to think it has a 9.5" monitor. I rebooted Windows XP and the display is fine, full screen, everything is normal. Back to Ubuntu, the same issue.
    Last edited by kevvy; November 24th, 2008 at 06:19 AM. Reason: clarity

Beans

Here's a photo of my computer. I could not use a screenshot because it would only show the area of the screen being used, and not the unused area around it. I have looked for settings and preferences to fix this issue but had no luck. I used the same image of Ubuntu on another laptop (not mine) and had no problems. Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Bump...pureley out of desperation. See photo in last post. Thanks

Beans

I have had this a few times and the solution i found was to go to System - Preferences - Screen resolution (I think thats right from memory, im on a windows pc right now)

Then try selecting a different refresh rate, this somehow changes how much of the sceen is used, you can also try a different resolution too that can have an effect. If you are using a dual boot you could also use the same settings as windows and see if that works.
    The refresh rate worked best for me though

TheOldGit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast