Thread: [SOLVED] in firefox, ctrl + shift + left or right arrow --> doesn't select, changes t

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy [SOLVED] in firefox, ctrl + shift + left or right arrow --> doesn't select, changes t

When I do this keyboard command in Firefox...
    ctrl + shift + left or right arrow
    ... my intention is to select/highlight text, by the word, like you would in any other application.

This used to work just fine for me, but now it doesn't. Instead, when I do this, I end up going one Tab to the left or right. It doesn't happen absolutely all the time, which is weird, but it does happen most of the time. And when it happens, it is so very annoying, and I have to select text one letter at a time, or else use my cursor... drives me crazy!!

Has anyone else encountered this? And does anyone have any suggestions?

(I have FF 3.04)

Thank you!!

EDIT: It is possible that this only happens to me when I'm in Yahoo! email and I'm typing an email and try to select words in my email. I really feel like it happens in other situations too, but I can't think of another example (if it happens to me while I'm doing stuff today/tomorrow at another site, I'll be sure to come update my post). In any case, it definitely doesn't happen when I'm using Yahoo! email on a computer with Windows, and it didn't happen to me on my laptop until I switched to Ubuntu.
    Last edited by alisonjo2786; November 24th, 2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: adding a paragraph about when I've encountered this problem
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    Dell Inspiron E1405 Intel Core Solo Processor T1300
    1gb ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: in firefox, ctrl + shift + left or right arrow --> doesn't select, changes tabs :

bump
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    1gb ram

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: in firefox, ctrl + shift + left or right arrow --> doesn't select, changes tabs :

I don't know, everything has always worked normally for me. Have you been modifying your key bindings in about:config?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Not on purpose. Where is about:config (or, how can I do that)?
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    1gb ram

Beans

just type it in the url bar

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok, thank you, I've now searched through that. I've definitely never been in there before, and unfortunately I didn't find any setting about this except there was one "word_select"-stop-at-punctuation (or something very similar).

It is possible that this only happens to me when I'm in Yahoo! email and I'm typing an email and try to select words in my email. I really feel like it happens in other situations too, but I can't think of another example (if it happens to me while I'm doing stuff today/tomorrow at another site, I'll be sure to come update my post). In any case, it definitely doesn't happen when I'm using Yahoo! email on a computer with Windows, and it didn't happen to me on my laptop until I switched to Ubuntu.

(I'm going to update my post with this paragraph now.)
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    1gb ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

bump
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    1gb ram