Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I have to set a mount point for a partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do I have to set a mount point for a partition?

I am currently installing Kubuntu 8.10 on a machine I intend to be a file server. It has two HDDs, 160GB and 500GB. I was partitioning the primary drive as:
    2 GB swap
    20 GB /
    138 GB /home

I wanted to format the second drive and leave it open to be shared across a mixed windows/linux network, and storing music to be streamed, etc. During the installation, Kubuntu is warning me that this drive "will not be used" if I don't set a mount point.

What are the ramifications of not setting a mount point? Can't I just mount it later?

Thanks!

~Nix

Beans

Re: Do I have to set a mount point for a partition?

You don't have to set a mount point for the second drive during the installing process if you don't want to. You can still mount it later by adding an entry in /etc/fstab.

And for / and /home, you want to mount those during the installing.
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah, when you're installing and choose not to use it, it just won't be mounted when you first start using Kubuntu. You can always set the mount point after you have installed by editing /etc/fstab.
    Desktop: Phenom 955 BE | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | 8GB TG Elite 1600 | BFG GTX 275
    Conky Screenshots | Last.fm | New to Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Ok, thank you very much - I have it installed and running now.

However I have a couple of issues. First, how do I propery add the unmounted drive to /etc/fstab?

Second, I seem to be having trouble with the second drive. It is missing about 70GB when I check its properties, it has something called Lost & Found on it (is this normal?), and I can't seem to copy any data over to it - it tells me that access is denied.

Will those be solved if I get it properly located in the /etc/fstab file?

Thank you!

~Nix

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I think this is what you're looking for. http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/mountlinux

Beans
    Hidden!

Was it a blank disk to start with or is it one you have been using before and just want mounted in kubuntu to access files? If there is nothing you want keeping on it, you could use gparted to repartition and format it which will hopefully sort out the missing space. Other than that I'm not sure with that issue.

As for mounting it, what file system is on it?

You'll need to make a folder to mount it in, (usually in /media or /mnt). E.g. from a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/foldername
    Then to edit fstab, type the following in konsole:
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/fstab
    This will bring up fstab in the kate text editor. Then you'll need to add a line to the bottom to mount your drive.

You can find the drive link by doing (in konsole):
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    This will bring up details of the disks in your computer, along with their filesystem type. Find the "/dev/something" of the disk you want to mount so it can be added to fstab.

For example, my "media" partition is at /dev/sdc1 with filesystem of ntfs and I mount it in /media/Media, so the following line is in my /etc/fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/sdc1     /media/Media     ntfs-3g     defaults     0     0
    "Defaults" just sets the default permissions for the directory, which lets my username read/write etc from the disk. The two 0's do something that I'm not sure about, some sort of checks or something.

Then, save and exit kate, and type:
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    into konsole, and with some luck that shud mount the disk to your mount point.

Hope that makes some sort of vague sense!

There's also a thread here with fstab related stuff.
    Desktop: Phenom 955 BE | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | 8GB TG Elite 1600 | BFG GTX 275
    Conky Screenshots | Last.fm | New to Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro

Hi, the disk was running NTFS, 500GB capacity, about 260GB full. I copied the 260GB of data onto an external hard drive and during the Kubuntu install process deleted the partition and created a new one, formatted with ext3.

I plan on using Samba to share it with the rest of my little network.

It probably won't let me copy data at the moment because the drive is not mounted, but I was able to see it in Dolphin (so I am not sure how to know positively one way or the other in this interface?). I am concerned that I somehow lost 60-80GB of capacity.

I didn't think gparted was a part of KDE/Kubuntu? I would be happy to use it, I am more comfortable working with a GUI than I am bash...

Using fdisk I see /dev/sb1, a 500.1 GB hard disk. So its full capacity is recognized, but in Dolphin it isn't. gparted would do the trick to tell what is what.

Thanks again!

~Nix

Beans
    Distro

So after installing and running gparted, it appears that my 500GB hard drive is showing up there as having a size of 465.76 GB, with 7.5 GB used. Any ideas about why it lost 35 GB, and what might be taking up 7.5 GB of disk space, on a newly partitioned 500 GB hard drive?

(or should I be asking this elsewhere, like in Hardware?)

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

The 465gb sounds right for a 500gb hdd. It's all in the way bytes are calculated or something like that. I'm not sure about the 7.5gb used. Try showing hidden files (ctrl-h) and see if anything is there. Empty the trash?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by Moop View Post
    The 465gb sounds right for a 500gb hdd. It's all in the way bytes are calculated or something like that.
    I think it goes like this:
    1. Manufacturers use the conversion that 1 kb = 1000 bytes, 1 mb = 1000 kb, 1 gb = 1000 mb.
    2. Traditional (and technically more correct) methods work so that 1 kb = 1024 bytes, 1 mb = 1024 kb, 1gb = 1024 mb.

Gparted and the like use #2. On a 500 Gb drive, that adds up.
    I break my Ubuntu on purpose.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast