Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: block wine internet access

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

block wine internet access

everyone says that linux is mostly free from spyware
    but i use wine a lot and i dont want the windows programs in wine
    to have internet access.. i still want them to have local network access but not internet..

how do i do this?

nutz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: block wine internet access

If you are worried about specific programs you can block the ports they use at the router. But really, you are worrying about stuff that you don't need to worry about. Wine is not Windows, it's Linux. If you are safely behind a firewalled router you don't have much to worry about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

An easy way would to be to use trickle, wondershaper, or some other bandwidth limiter and just set the limit for WINE to 0kB/s. I believe there are other options in there as well, so you could disable anything but local.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chrisod View Post
    If you are worried about specific programs you can block the ports they use at the router. But really, you are worrying about stuff that you don't need to worry about. Wine is not Windows, it's Linux. If you are safely behind a firewalled router you don't have much to worry about.
    that would be great if i only accessed the internet from my router at home, but 75%+ of my laptop usage is while connected to others internet, both cable and wifi.

if i knew what ports that the windows software used, rather than the ports they say they use then have other ones appear irregularly as the software either phones home, or trys for updates i DONT want that may not work in wine, or give out usage or a hundred of the other things windows software does that make a good inbound and OUTbound firewall a requirement.

it would be best if i could shut down wine access to the internet, and if not kill the network ability of wine altogether.

there is not much point having a "safe" OS then emulate a unsafe one and not take precautions.

nutz

Beans

What programs are you worried about having network access? Odds are, whatever it is, won't be able to do much under Wine in Linux--as most malwares and viruses require the equivalent of sudo level access to do their evil.

I've run programs under Wine without worry............................................. ..it was only AFTER I ran them under Windows XP (I have a dedicated drive for when Wine is not perfect enough), that I found out they were heavily infected with nasty malwares/trojans/viruses.....By "after" I mean than in less than 5 minutes said XP install was dead and bluescreening.

Odds are you have little to worry about. Odds are.
    PhenomII 720x4@3.65gHz w/Zalman cooler,PNY Nvidia GTX260, 4GB, Arch64

14 is NOT a random number!!!!!
    Arch Linux | new Other OS Talk forum

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    What programs are you worried about having network access?

Odds are you have little to worry about. Odds are.
    i am one of the few who trust microsoft with nothing.
    and almost no windows program.
    i have used (and still)MANY MANY programs that "phone home" in windows
    but at least with windows i had a good firewall that blocked outgoing and incoming access.
    i miss that conrtol..
    i miss not knowing when a program "phones home" or some other activity that i just dont know about or trust

nutz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by nutpants View Post
    i am one of the few who trust microsoft with nothing.
    and almost no windows program.
    i have used (and still)MANY MANY programs that "phone home" in windows
    but at least with windows i had a good firewall that blocked outgoing and incoming access.
    i miss that control..
    i miss not knowing when a program "phones home" or some other activity that i just don't know about or trust

nutz
    I'm right there with ya, man, so don't take this wrong.

1) I don't trust M/S

2) So I install software that says it prevents M/S software from "phoning home".

3) believe that this software, running on an M /S operating system, actually prevents kernel-level functions from executing without my "permission".

Inevitable conclusion? I'm an idiot.

At least with *n*x you can see the code...
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuntu user!
    Registered Linux User #386750

chown -R us base

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i agree that you cant trust what any commercial software vendor claims about its software.
    windows or linux.
    if oyu cant see the code then you dont know what it is doing.
    the open source software for linux is fantastic,
    but sadly it falls far short of what i need.
    so i use wine to runs the stuff that i have to.
    and i use vmware when i must.

and application aware firewall is a must for me.
    i HAVE to use closed source software.
    and i would really like to know when it tried to phone home.

linux may be the future
    but with out this ability you will have 10 million windows user converts installing tons of "free" closed software someday.
    and no one will have any idea what the closed source software is doing.

it will happen.
    because people make money that way.

nutz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm posting to an old thread for the benefit of current searches for a solution to this issue. It's possible to resolve this issue exactly as requested using the features of iptables. The idea being to restrict just wine (and only wine) to local network access but not internet access. I've included the steps here for posterity (in case the original owner of this thread is no longer looking for a solution.)

Iptables can restrict network access on a per user basis. If you run wine under a different username and restrict that username's network access, your problem is solved. Let's assume a situation where your primary username is "nutpants". You run X and log in to desktop sessions as "nutpants". Further you create a new user account for wine usage with the username "wineuser". Finally let's assume your local network is 192.168.0.0/24.

Proceed as follows:

Create the wineuser account. Use either the account creation tool from your window manager or from the command line:

sudo useradd wineuser -m -s /bin/bash
    sudo passwd wineuser

(then specify a password)

You may want to manually add this user to different groups to allow access to audio and the cdrom drive.

Determine the UID of this user:

id wineuser

Let's say the command prompt returned a UID of 1001 for this user. Now set up the network restriction via iptables:

sudo iptables -I OUTPUT -m owner --uid-owner 1001 \
    -d ! 192.168.0.0/24 -j DROP

Now you need to be able to run wine as wineuser and still see wine programs on the nutpants desktop. Ordinarily this won't work because the wineuser needs restricted access to your X server. Grant access like so:

sudo cp /home/nutpants/.Xauthority /home/wineuser
    sudo chmod 600 /home/wineuser/.Xauthority
    sudo chown wineuser: /home/wineuser/.Xauthority

Now open a terminal, su to wineuser and export your display to proper desktop. In most cases this will be desktop 0 unless you're running multiple X servers:

sudo su - wineuser
    export DISPLAY=:0

Make sure you can connect to the X server by running xclock or some other basic app:

xclock

If you see the xclock app appear on your screen, you're set to go. Close xclock and run wine from the same terminal window you spawned xclock from. Wine will not be able to access the internet. You'll have to repeat the export DISPLAY function for each new shell you open for wineuser. If you don't like copying .Xauthority around, you can always install sshd on your machine and ssh from a nutpants shell to your wineuser account with X11 forwarding. The prevents the need for copying .Xauthority but now all X activity is redirected through ssh. (This is inefficient due to encryption/decryption overhead.)

ssh -X wineuser@localhost
    Last edited by lunarlatte; May 20th, 2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: (Fixed iptables command)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello, I was having this same problem of trying to prevent programs (like wine) from using the network and figured a similar way to the above solution by lunarlatte. The difference is that I wanted to be able to run *any* particular program but take away it's network access. I wrote it as a tutorial yesterday here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1188099

I'm posting the link here in case it's helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast