Thread: Kde 3.5.10 ?

Beans

Kde 3.5.10 ?

Is there any way I could install KDE 3.5.10 on Ubuntu 8.10 ? I already have KDE 4.1.3 installed.

Beans

Re: Kde 3.5.10 ?

A Sweet BUMP....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

From https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/KDE3-KDE4Migration:
    8.10 will only include KDE 4 as its desktop. KDE 3 will not be available. As the code-name suggests, Intrepid is intended as a deliberately cutting edge release, if you would rather stay with what you know 8.04 continues to be fully supported. The development team decided that time and manpower considerations as well as the probable(possible) lack of further 3.5x releases prevent them from maintaining 2 separate versions, and KDE 4 was chosen as the version to move forward with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

So what 'feature' are you trying to get in 3.5.10?

I have one disk loaded with Ubuntu 8.10, one disk with Kubuntu 8.10 (KED4.1), and one USB disk loaded with Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE 3.5).

I like the KDE 3.5 install the best, but I am trying to find a way to accept the KDE4.1 menus and layout. I did manage (after much effort I am not sure I could repeat) to install the "latest" nvidia drivers under KDE 3.5 (nvidia-glx-new package and friends). This makes many of the newer eye candy features available under KDE 3.5 and I get to keep the better menu system. However it may not have much of a future.

I had an Nvidia GeForce 440 card in the machine before the 'upgrade' to 8.10, but that card turned out to be an 'unsupported' nvidia card in the newer OS. It had always worked fine under Ubuntu 8.04 or Kubuntu 8.04. So after trying all sorts of software changes to solve that, I finally broke down and replaced the video card with a new low cost ($50) GeForce 6200. The new card seems to be fully supported under all three operating systems (and, of course, under Windows Xp).

Good Luck.

Beans