Thread: [SOLVED] Will Dell Dimension 2400 handle Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] Will Dell Dimension 2400 handle Ubuntu?

I've ordered the Ubuntu Live CD but am trying to do my homework while waiting for delivery. System specs are:

Dell Dimension 2400, 512 RAM, Pentium 4 CPU, 2.80GHz
    Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
    BCM V.92 56K Modem
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
    DSL router for high speed internet thru local phone service
    SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
    Intel 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller
    C: total space 74.4G free space 60.8G

Personal use only; already use OO, Firefox, Thunderbird, Piccasa, Paint.net. No gaming, music, videos (except for viewing email attachment).

???
    1. Memory can expand to 2G. Invest now so have plenty to work with?
    2. Assume have enough hard drive space for running dual OS until I am sufficiently experienced with Ubuntu to dump Windows. Y or N?
    3. Do I need to upgrade the sound & graphics controller cards and add a video card?
    4. Live CD includes some of the software apps I already use. If install, will already loaded apps be recognized or overwritten?

Not sure I understand how to disk partition and how to dual boot but will keep reading. Have read some very useful posts so far and am looking forward to a MS freedom day! Keep up the good work.
    Georgi in UT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Will Dell Dimension 2400 handle Ubuntu?

1. 512 MB will work, but doesn't hurt to have more. I've used 800 MB out of 2 GB before
    2.Yes. You have enough space to dual boot
    3.The existing cards will work. If you buy a card, get an nVidia. I've seen numerous posts about ATI issues.
    4.If you're using windows right now and want to dual boot, the windows apps will not be overwritten; however, you will not be able to use them under Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yes you would benefit from upgrading your ram, and it is easy to install and cheap to buy.

according to crucial.com your computer has only two memory module slots in it. take out your existing memory and install two 1GB 184 pin DIMMs for a total of 2 Gigabytes of memory for as cheap as $45.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20(2%20x%201GB)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you both for your immediate help. This answers questions for now so thread can be closed. Appreciate the link to newegg.com for the memory upgrade.
    G in UT