Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idea or Direction voice secure

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Idea or Direction voice secure

noob here,
    I was wondering if there was a voice recognition program that will allow users to log in just saying their name over a microphone. (ubuntu 8.10) I have a voice editor program that is interesting, (edit, reverse, manipulate) and I was wondering if there is a application that can be integrated with security.
    Or to use for sudo commands ect.

Or if there isn't any, where would be a good place to request such and idea?

Voice your log ins or even voice to type.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Idea or Direction voice secure

There is none that I know of, as this would be a big security flaw in the authentication system.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    There is none that I know of, as this would be a big security flaw in the authentication system.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    How so? I don't know much about ubuntu but would like to learn as much as I can. Would the integration make the authentication be unstable? Or would it be a breech point?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xmx View Post
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    How so? I don't know much about ubuntu but would like to learn as much as I can. Would the integration make the authentication be unstable? Or would it be a breech point?
    It would be considered an area that an attacker could easily gain authentication. Here is an example for you.

Joe sets his system up for Voice Authentication. He must say his username, and the system checks his voice against his pre-recorded voice. If it sounds within 90% the same, the system logs him in. Joe is out of the room for awhile, locks the screen (or logs out) and an attacker plants a tape recorder in the room. When Joe comes back, he authenticates by using his voice, which is now recorded by the attacker.

When Joe leaves, the attacker removes his tape recorder, can take it home, make a duplicate of it, removes the whitespace, and now has the key to Joe's computer. The attacker can now come at a time when Joe is not around, play Joe's recorded voice to the computer, the system will recognize it as Joe's voice, compare it, and the attacker will be given access.

They do the same things with webcams for authentication. So far, a strong password is your best form of auth. It may not be convenient, but you can not sacrifice convenience for security.

The above example may not be true in every situation, but it can be accomplished different ways with the same intentions. If a webcam is used, we'll steal your picture; If a voice recording, we'll steal your voice; If a fingerprint reader, we'll steal your fingerprint; If a password, we'll either try to crack it, or just steal your computer (more likely to be noticed).

Dr Small
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small

Beans

The above example may not be true in every situation, but it can be accomplished different ways with the same intentions. If a webcam is used, we'll steal your picture; If a voice recording, we'll steal your voice; If a fingerprint reader, we'll steal your fingerprint; If a password, we'll either try to crack it, or just steal your computer (more likely to be noticed).

Dr Small
    I'd be interested in hearing how you "steal a fingerprint" outside of a James Bond film.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by teddks View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing how you "steal a fingerprint" outside of a James Bond film.
    The same way the FBI and investigators do it. A little dust and some scotch tape.

Beans

The same way the FBI and investigators do it. A little dust and some scotch tape.
    And then you run the tape over the fingerprint scanner, hoping the dust sticking to the fingerprint lines will register on the scanner?

I've just seen this "fingerprints are insecure" attitude in this forum, and I'm wondering why.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by teddks View Post
    I've just seen this "fingerprints are insecure" attitude in this forum, and I'm wondering why.
    The attitude should be, "Anything is unsecure unless proven otherwise." Never take anything for granted when dealing with security.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Check here: http://www.securityfocus.com/news/6717

It seems relatively easy to lift and clone fingerprints, with many tutorials available online.
    Helping people crawl out of their *******...
    Please read THIS before asking if Anti-Virus and Firewalls are needed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by randy78 View Post
    Check here: http://www.securityfocus.com/news/6717

It seems relatively easy to lift and clone fingerprints, with many tutorials available online.
    Wow, that sounds like complete science fiction to me. I guess pam_fprint is coming out of my configuration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast