Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132

Thread: Physical access is root access

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Physical access is root access

Quote Originally Posted by Mornedhel View Post
    My honest questions are : a. are you really in the sort of environment where this poses a problem (ie. do you know for sure that people are after your data), and b. is your data really that sensitive ?

Right now I have to assume that half the population of this forum is some kind of diplomat or secret service agent.
    Naw.. just overly protective of my UbuntuForums account password!
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mornedhel View Post
    My honest questions are : a. are you really in the sort of environment where this poses a problem (ie. do you know for sure that people are after your data), and b. is your data really that sensitive ?

Right now I have to assume that half the population of this forum is some kind of diplomat or secret service agent.
    It's a "magic bullet" kinda thing. People are insecure about security, because they don't know much about it, so they reach for the wonder oil : "encrypt your hard disk and you'll never have to worry about security again".

That, and a tendency to want "the best" - the fastest PC, the best operating system, the widest monitor, the highest screen resolution, the ultimate security, ... "anti-virus ? firewall ? passwords ? mere toys - I do nothing less than full disk encryption"

Outside the geek universe, there's something similar going on with big/fast cars compensating for undersized body parts in the reproductive system.

Just kidding .... sort of.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    It's a "magic bullet" kinda thing. People are insecure about security, because they don't know much about it, so they reach for the wonder oil : "encrypt your hard disk and you'll never have to worry about security again".

That, and a tendency to want "the best" - the fastest PC, the best operating system, the widest monitor, the highest screen resolution, the ultimate security, ... "anti-virus ? firewall ? passwords ? mere toys - I do nothing less than full disk encryption"

Outside the geek universe, there's something similar going on with big/fast cars compensating for undersized body parts in the reproductive system.

Just kidding .... sort of.
    Hey... my car isn't THAT fast ... *mutter*
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Hey... my car isn't THAT fast ... *mutter*
    I bet it's faster than mine

Beans
    Hidden!

Why leaving the door open when you can lock it?
    Without a default password, anyone can access with root privileges without having a CD, opening your case to remove the BIOS password or any other kind of stuff. It just boot and there is it.

That's just my 2 cents.

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132