Thread: Use Existing MS Office Install w/ Wine???

Beans

Use Existing MS Office Install w/ Wine???

Hey all....a Linux noob here, but trying to learn and get away from the evil empire. Still there are things I need like MS Office 2007. I've read the install guides on how to make Wine and 2007 work, but none of the guides address my specific question.

First off, I have a Dell laptop...dual boot situation right now with Vista and Ubuntu 8.1.0. On the Vista version I installed MS Office sometime ago. I just got Wine installed the other day and want to get MS Office running. Inside Ubuntu I can navigate to my Windows drive and click on the Word, Excel and Powerpoint .exe files but I get an "IOPL" not installed error.

I have no idea what that is or how to fix it. I am thinking this could be because I am trying to use an existing install from the Vista partition. Do I **HAVE** to do a fresh install of MS Office using Wine like the guides show?

Your help is most appreciated. Thanks so much.
    Last edited by nolimits76; November 21st, 2008 at 08:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Use Existing MS Office Install w/ Wine???

Office uses registry entries so unless you know how to export each and every one of them you'll need to install it under WINE and not use it off of the ***dows drive.

If you have any troubles after installing don't hesistate to ask here, or check the WINE appdb page for info from other users of office http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=4992

Btw this line:

Hey all....a Linux noob here, but trying to learn and get away from the evil empire. Still there are things I need like MS Office 2007.
    Made me laugh. A lot.
    Oh noes lets get away from microsoft but i needs my microsoft. ^_^

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    Btw this line:

Made me laugh. A lot.
    Oh noes lets get away from microsoft but i needs my microsoft. ^_^
    Agreed, and I thought of that as I was typing. The sad truth is I need MS Office and AutoCAD for business compatibility with external clients, which keeps me connected to M$. However, weeding out 90% of M$ makes life so much better for me. I'm thankful for Ubuntu, I've toyed with some Linux versions in the past, but for the noob Ubuntu rocks and gives me another real choice.

Thanks for the help, it is much much appreciated. I will proceed with the install from the CD as I have no idea what to copy and I'm sure it would take much, much longer.

Another question...when I explore my Wine C: I see where there is an Internet Explorer link. I click on it and it just pulls up a white screen and nothing more. I hate IE the most but again, business sometimes forces me to log into a web management program called Constructware (also made by AutoDesk, same makers of AutoCAD, so no big surprise they lasso you into a M$ product). Any idea why just the white screen? Any free source alternate web browsers to avoid having to use IE? My first choice is Mozilla, which just doesn't work period. No dice with Opera either. And I have very, very limited functionality with Safari. All those tried on the Windows side, except Mozilla/Firefox which is my default in Ubuntu.
    Last edited by nolimits76; November 21st, 2008 at 07:20 PM.

Beans

Found the answer to the white screen problem with IE....others can advise if there is a better solution, but otherwise I am going with this unless told otherwise:

http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/...llation:Ubuntu