Thread: Auto login help

Beans

Auto login help

I'm trying to get a console based server to auto login with a specified user name. I found a couple of tutorials, but I can't seem to get them to work.

I found this one http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=31310 and one with the exact some instructions, but I can't get them to work. When I get to the
    sudo gcc -o autologin autologin.c
    it gives me the following errors:
    autologin.c: In function ‘main’:
    autologin.c:2: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘execlp’
    autologin.c:2: warning: missing sentinel in function call

I'm no coder, so I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking at, or what might be causing the error. I have gcc-4.3 installed on 32bit 8.10 Ubuntu Server Edition computer.

Edited to fix spelling error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Auto login help

Perhaps if you explain WHY you need a server system to auto-logon a user at a console, we can tell you how to avoid that.
    Auto-logon on a server system is the epitome of insecurity.

Beans

On a server you shouldn't need to have anything run when a user logs in. Things like Apache, mysql, etc start with the computer.

If you need to run something as a specific user I'd suggest setting up some type of cronjob.
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adaptr View Post
    Perhaps if you explain WHY you need a server system to auto-logon a user at a console, we can tell you how to avoid that.
    Auto-logon on a server system is the epitome of insecurity.
    I'm not worried about security of the system, not only is it not a critical server (never would think of this if it was), but it is hooked up to a LAN with no WAN access, with 5 people who don't know how to do anything without a GUI, and me.

I set this server up as a headless local web (Wiki)/samba server for the hotel I work in. Now the bosses want to use the server to also display a slide show in the lobby. It's not a powerful computer, so I don't want to run Gnome or KDE on it. What I was going to do was set the computer up to auto login with a limited account, and at login bring up Blackbox, which would auto start gthumb. Not exactly the most elegant solution, but I figure it should work. Of course if anyone has any better ideas, I'm listening.

Man I hope that rambling made sense.

Beans

Ah that makes sense. With some googling, I've found this

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...89&postcount=2

It doesn't autologin a user but it does run a command at startup, which could start your slideshow.
    Ubuntu 14.04 Server
    -Linode 1GB
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Laptop
    -Toshiba Satellite A505-6005, Intel i3, 4.00 GB ram

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Thirtysixway View Post
    Ah that makes sense. With some googling, I've found this
    Thanks, that worked nicely. Everything is up and running as it should be.