Thread: [SOLVED] is ubuntu compatible with Toshiba Equium A210-171

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] is ubuntu compatible with Toshiba Equium A210-171

hi, this may seem like a really dumb question, but i need to know if i can change the vista o/s on my Toshiba Equium A210-171 laptop for Ubuntu. I also need really simple instructions about how to do it if it can be done. i'm really sorry to be such a pain but i want to get away from microsoft. please please help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: is ubuntu compatible with Toshiba Equium A210-171

Have you tried downloading and burning the live CD? Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download, download the CD image, and burn it to a disk. Then you can try Ubuntu and see if it works on your computer before actually making any changes to your computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: is ubuntu compatible with Toshiba Equium A210-171

mrboojive, thanks a lot, i shall try this tomorrow, and let people know what happens. thanks again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] is ubuntu compatible with Toshiba Equium A210-171

okay thanks. seems like it works fine from the disk, i just need to work on making my fave apps work with this o/s. i shall do some research before i remove vista but it looks like i am a convert

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Cool! If you're trying to get Windows apps to work, make sure you check out Wine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yes thanks, i have already installed wine. the only ms apps i am interested in are real player so i can listen to bbc radio and something compatible with itunes so i can get my music off and load it onto rhythmbox (i resent the idea of losing music that i have paid for because of compatibility issues. no i cantjust use my ipod to transfer the tracks because, would you believe it, i cant find it. apart from that i have been using firefox and open office for some while now so there really arent many ms features that i will miss. you know, i dont think it will be all that long before i remove windows, cos linux all seems to work so much better (quicker and so on). anyhow, thanks for your advice
    cheers
    nigel