Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Password encryption variant of Roboform (Win) in ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question [SOLVED] Password encryption variant of Roboform (Win) in ubuntu

Hi, i just recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop computer, on top of my pre-installed Vista OS, using Wubi installer, and i was wondering if there is a program for ubuntu that is similar to Roboform, a Windows OS password encrypting program that stores passwords in ur browser, using an encrypted format, and allows auto-filling in of user name and password fields on websites, requiring only ONE master password to access ur passcards, making it a hell of a lot easier to access websites requiring usernames and passwords, securely, without having to memorize every single username and password. i've heard of the two ubuntu password storing programs called Revelation and LastPass. well...i've heard once before (don't know if its true or not; u judge) that LastPass is some kind of scam! and as for the program Revelation, i recently installed that program, and learned that it is NOTHING like Roboform, and does not even look like it allows u to access passcards from within ur browser, and certainly probably does not encrypt them if it does!

so my question is this: does anyone who has used Roboform before, and uses Ubuntu, know of any program that is similar to it, for Ubuntu? i would also like for it support the format that Roboform uses (rfp), so that i can simply import my passcards from Roboform into the program in Ubuntu, so that i don't have to spend days manually filling in the information from the passcards in Roboform!

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Password encryption variant of Roboform (Win) in ubuntu

I'm not really sure if this is what you really want, but Firefox has a master password setting (Tools(?)->Options->Security). If you activate it, you'll have to type in the master password when you want to use any of the stored passwords.
    Last edited by Linteg; November 20th, 2008 at 10:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I store all my passwords in a GPG encrypted text document, for ease.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, Linteg, but no! that's not what i want! of course i know about the Firefox feature, but i'm not convinced that it stores passwords in an encrypted format, like Roboform does, so i really want..well, pretty much what i said i wanted!!! i want a program similar to Roboform, with similar features, that will work on Ubuntu 8.10!

Beans
    Distro

uhh...Dr. Small!!! i don't want to store my passwords in a DOCUMENT, i want to store them in a PROGRAM similar to Roboform!!! did u not even read my above message?

Thanks for the effort, but that's not what i want to do!!!
    Last edited by Jammanuser; November 25th, 2008 at 01:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

There is a windows program called KeePass that stores various information in an encrypted database. There is a portable version available here. Although a windows program, it runs very well under wine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jammanuser View Post
    uhh...Dr. Small!!! i don't want to store my passwords in a DOCUMENT, i want to store them in a PROGRAM similar to Roboform!!! did u not even read my above message?

Thanks for the effort, but that's what i want to do!!!
    Yes, I read your post. I was just giving you a hint as to how I do it

Quote Originally Posted by dunkar70 View Post
    There is a windows program called KeePass that stores various information in an encrypted database. There is a portable version available here. Although a windows program, it runs very well under wine.
    There is a linux native one called "KeepassX". It should be in the repositories.
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the heads-up Dr. Small.
    Ubuntu Karmic (32-bit) workstations (with one Lucid laptop)
    Ubuntu Heron (32-bit LTS) servers

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Password encryption variant of Roboform (Win) in ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    Yes, I read your post. I was just giving you a hint as to how I do it

There is a linux native one called "KeepassX". It should be in the repositories.
    oh..ok! thanks! do u know where i can find 'KeepassX'? i mean, i know u said its in the repositories, but i'm not sure what that means! i assume it means that its probably already installed on my computer, but i don't know what u mean when u say 'repositories'! please explain!

sorry! i'm a noob!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Jammanuser View Post
    oh..ok! thanks! do u know where i can find 'KeepassX'? i mean, i know u said its in the repositories, but i'm not sure what that means! i assume it means that its probably already installed on my computer, but i don't know what u mean when u say 'repositories'! please explain!

sorry! i'm a noob!
    Not a problem. We all start somewhere
    Check out this wiki page that has already been created to expound on the subject. It's a great read:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast