Thread: editing grub on ubuntu server 8.04

Beans

editing grub on ubuntu server 8.04

hi i would like to edit my grub so that it will load windows by default instead of my ubuntu server. how can i do this? thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: editing grub on ubuntu server 8.04

If you post your /boot/grub/menu.lst file then we can tell you what parameter to change (and what to).

Alternatively, I could just tell you that it's the 'default' directive that needs to be changed however you need to be aware that the numbering starts at zero and that section dividers count as a line towards numbering each menu statement.

If you want to try it, reboot your machine and hit Escape at the Grub prompt - find the XP entry and note its position - remember start counting at zero and include dividers as an entry - then edit the 'default' directive accordingly.

For example, the following would require default 3 to load XP.

(0) Ubuntu
    (1) Ubuntu (Recovery)
    (2) --- Other OS's ---
    (3) XP

Incidentally, whilst you're at it you might want to change the 'timeout' setting as required, along with commenting out 'hiddenmenu' if you want the menu to always appear (without pressing Escape).

Mathew
    Last edited by MJN; November 20th, 2008 at 11:34 PM.
    www.NewtonNet.co.uk - Now supporting IPv6!

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~

Beans

tried to use gedit to get to the menu.lst file but apparently gedit is not installed and i havent yet managed to get internet access on the server yet. is there another way to get into that file and edit it? thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by drtanz View Post
    tried to use gedit to get to the menu.lst file but apparently gedit is not installed and i havent yet managed to get internet access on the server yet. is there another way to get into that file and edit it? thanks
    In a terminal type
    cd /boot/grub
    sudo nano menu.lst
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AMD Athlon 64 +3800 / ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    2048 MB DDR / GeForce 7600GS 512 MB / Dell 2407WFP