Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Management gui

Beans

Re: Power Management gui

New version in svn, now has notifications and I removed the laptop mode stuff. It still just disables laptop mode when it starts, if you want I can have it re-enable it when it's closed, but I figured if people where using this for power management they don't really need laptop mode anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

A couple of questions:

1. General Tab: Interface: This is not autofilling on my machine, is this looking for eth0 or wlan0?

2. Disks: Sata Hosts: Also not autofilling with any data, although both host0 and host1 exist in mydirectory. Manually specifing them produces errors though due to the non existent power_management directory.
    Last edited by chadeldridge; December 7th, 2008 at 02:07 AM.

Beans

interface has to be set manually...it is only if your using the ipw driver though, if not you can leave it blank. Sata hosts should be left blank if you don't have the power management directory, if you don't have that directory they can't be managed(in the auto-detection it checks for the directory, thats why your hosts don't show up). I'll start working on documentation soon, the program has enough options now it can be confusing with docs.

Beans

added an installer now and changed some of the file names. You have to install for it to run now. to download the svn version run this in a terminal:
    Code:
    svn checkout http://wattospm.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ wattospm 
    cd wattospm
    sudo python installer.py install
    then to run the program:
    Code:
    sudo wattospm.py
    you can now add it to your startup programs under sessions as:
    gksudo wattospm.py

when you start up it will ask for your root password, I'll try to find a way to have it startup automatically without needing your password. If you want to uninstall type(from the svn directory):
    Code:
    sudo python installer.py uninstall
    When a new version comes out in svn just run the installer again, it'll remove the old version and install the new(it'll also remove your config but it's easy to set back up).

edit:
    there is now a little extra to the program...it has been split into a daemon and gui...the new information is here http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...2&postcount=91 use the instructions from here up till the installation, then follow the rest in the thread referenced.
    Last edited by iggykoopa; December 12th, 2008 at 06:33 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iggykoopa View Post
    by load do you mean recharge to 30-40% ? If so I've never seen an option to do that. Most of what I've seen people recommend though is to recharge the battery to 100% then physically remove it until you need it(some laptops act funny when you remove the battery though). If that is what you meant I can look into it some more and see if it's an option.
    Well, actually, to store the load should be between 30% and 40%, regarding maximum lifetime and capacity preserving.(Storing in a fridge would be of advance too, regarding my notebooks manual.)

What I mean is, I'd like to leave my battery in my laptop all the time, but instead of being charged to 100% when I'm on AC, I'd like to have it charged to 35% only. Just limit the charge rate.
    That would help preserving maximum capacity of the battery, which usually decreases in time. (Infos about load capacities mentioned from my notebooks manual)

That's my actual proc info:

Code:
    docter[/proc/acpi/battery/BAT1] cat info 
    present:                 yes
    design capacity:         4800 mAh
    last full capacity:      4800 mAh
    battery technology:      rechargeable
    design voltage:          11100 mV
    design capacity warning: 420 mAh
    design capacity low:     156 mAh
    capacity granularity 1:  264 mAh
    capacity granularity 2:  3780 mAh
    model number:            PA3465U 
    serial number:           3658Q
    battery type:            Li-Ion
    OEM info:                COMPAL  
    docter[/proc/acpi/battery/BAT1] cat state 
    present:                 yes
    capacity state:          ok
    charging state:          charged
    present rate:            0 mA
    remaining capacity:      4800 mAh
    present voltage:         11100 mV
    docter[/proc/acpi/battery/BAT1]
    Thanks for your effort, appreciate it a lot.
    Last edited by loomsen; December 7th, 2008 at 07:30 AM.

Beans

I'll look into it but I don't think it's going to be something I can do with this. If you find an app or code that allows you to do that let me know and I can try to integrate it.

Beans

Alright, I will. Thanks for your effort anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by iggykoopa View Post
    added an installer now and changed some of the file names. You have to install for it to run now. to download the svn version run this in a terminal:
    Code:
    svn checkout http://wattospm.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ wattospm 
    cd wattospm
    sudo python installer.py install
    then to run the program:
    Code:
    sudo wattospm.py
    you can now add it to your startup programs under sessions as:
    gksudo wattospm.py

when you start up it will ask for your root password, I'll try to find a way to have it startup automatically without needing your password. If you want to uninstall type(from the svn directory):
    Code:
    sudo python installer.py uninstall
    When a new version comes out in svn just run the installer again, it'll remove the old version and install the new(it'll also remove your config but it's easy to set back up).
    The installation worked fine, and now I'm running the program as default program. hehehe
    One thing I've just figured out today, is that xbacklight doesn't work by me, and I saw related issues to another users, is there another program for similar use?
    when I had my power savingscript I used the
    echo 20 > /proc/acpi/video/Z004/LCD0/brightness
    But this is very different for each laptop

Another suggestion, to become more user friendly, the filling boxes, some of them could be replaced by those with arrows, where you click the arrow and in(de)creases number, and in a middle column put the units, KB, or Seconds, or anything like. Those with two options only, just replace with an on or off button. As I said, just suggestions
    edit:
    By the way, just reading some docs, I saw this options swappiness, I thought it'd be interesting putting it on, since some people have less physical memory, for they it would make a difference in how it is used the virtual memory
    Last edited by felipefoz; December 9th, 2008 at 01:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

@iggykoopa
    I am sending a doc file, I don't know if it what you looking for, but it is a beginning. I gathered some information in the Internet, along manual pages, and kernel documentations. Sorry for the misspellings words, English is not my native language.
    After this you can think about launching a debian package.
    a preview, not finished yet.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

You may use
    /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/lcd-brightness.conf
    if you're using laptop mode anyway.
    But note that you have to specify which interface to use to alter brightness, so you're basically still using the same interface. This interface, however, should be located under
    /proc/acpi/video/*
    for most laptops. From there the name probably will defer, but basically, for altering brightness,
    /proc/acpi/video/
    is the directory to take a closer look at.

xbacklight, however, doesn't use acpi but the xrandr extension.

For usage hints and further information try the common tools, like man, whatis and apropos:
    Code:
    man xrandr
    whatis xrandr
    apropos xrandr
    apropos and whatis are nice tools to get a basic idea of what an app does/is. It shows different related tools/applications, usually followed by a number in brackets. This shows which manual is available.
    So, for instance, this is what it shows here:
    docter[/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD02] apropos xrandr
    Xrandr (3) - X Resize, Rotate and Reflection extension.
    xrandr (1) - primitive command line interface to RandR extension
    docter[/proc/acpi/video/GFX0/DD02]
    So that these commands should show manuals for xrandr:
    man 1 xrandr
    man 3 Xrandr

For general manual usage information, you may run
    man man

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast