Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Management gui

Beans

Re: Power Management gui

Got off early from work so heres what I just committed to svn...

ac97 added(I don't have a card needs to be tested)
    ipw added, you need to go into the general tab and set what interface it is(i.e. eth1) then enable it in the gui...haven't figured out yet how to autodetect that stuff(needs testing also)
    added option to switch back to basic mode
    fixed the battery detection
    added readahead option(basically how much of a file is buffered from the disk, the setting is in kb)

Still haven't gotten around to nvidia stuff yet, I'll do it soon just don't really feel like wrapping my head around it right now. If youll run an lspci and tell me if the line for your nvidia card says vga compatible controller maybe thats how I can autodetect it.(thats what it says on my server, if it's consistent I'll use that)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by iggykoopa View Post
    Got off early from work so heres what I just committed to svn...

ac97 added(I don't have a card needs to be tested)
    ipw added, you need to go into the general tab and set what interface it is(i.e. eth1) then enable it in the gui...haven't figured out yet how to autodetect that stuff(needs testing also)
    added option to switch back to basic mode
    fixed the battery detection
    added readahead option(basically how much of a file is buffered from the disk, the setting is in kb)

Still haven't gotten around to nvidia stuff yet, I'll do it soon just don't really feel like wrapping my head around it right now. If youll run an lspci and tell me if the line for your nvidia card says vga compatible controller maybe thats how I can autodetect it.(thats what it says on my server, if it's consistent I'll use that)
    I think you should relax on those nvidia stuffs, and we should focus on major problems, 'cause nvidia is a fixed setting, you change once, no more changes needed. A script would easily fix the problem. If you concerned just add a tab to run a script adding, the coolbits, ondemandvblankinterrupts, and the dinamic frequency options on xorg.conf. The user will have to check if the settings will work on his hardware or not.
    About wireless, I use this option "iwconfig wlan0 power on" and it works very well, would it be the same thing as you're discussing?
    Last edited by felipefoz; November 26th, 2008 at 12:34 PM.

Beans

I can add that as an option for powering down the card, which is another good idea. But the options we are talking about there is to put it into powersaving mode, basically the card holds information and transmits it in bigger chunks so it doesn't have to transmit as often. I've got that section added just needs to be tested(for the ipw driver, I know it works for iwl). Also I have the nvidia and ati autodetection added(I feel stupid I just checked if the modules are loaded) can someone check that the ati section is working, i don't have one(the proprietary driver for ati is fglrx right?). Also figured out how to detect your username even though the program is run as root so added that.

Beans

got the nvidia stuff working now(only applies if your using compiz) and you still need to manually set ondemandvblank in xorg.conf(I'll try to add that tomorrow). If people wanna test it up it's up on svn now.

Beans
    Distro

got the nvidia stuff working now(only applies if your using compiz) and you still need to manually set ondemandvblank in xorg.conf(I'll try to add that tomorrow). If people wanna test it up it's up on svn now.
    i was trying to figure out, what does exactly do this nvidia stuff, i mean, the command line?
    have you considered the suggestion, to put a place to deactivate multiple services, instead of checking, then each person could deactivate the services they want! like
    services to put down - trackerd,sysklogd,smartmontools,...
    could easily use the /etc/init.d/servicename stop
    Just a suggestion, seeing those services keep the processor busy, not allowing to go in a deeper state.
    cheers

Beans

I can work on that, I'll probably figure out how to check which services are active and allow you to turn them off, I'll work on that in the next couple days. The nVidia stuff only applies if your using compiz, it changes sync to vblank off and changes the slide time in the wall plugin shorter so the card doesn't have to go into full power. The powermizer settings you can't change on the fly so I'll have an option to change it in xorg.conf easily, just haven't figured out exactly how I want to parse xorg.conf yet (I have some ideas though).

edit: to explain a little better it changes two keys in gconf under the compiz section.

Beans
    Distro

I can work on that, I'll probably figure out how to check which services are active and allow you to turn them off, I'll work on that in the next couple days. The nVidia stuff only applies if your using compiz, it changes sync to vblank off and changes the slide time in the wall plugin shorter so the card doesn't have to go into full power. The powermizer settings you can't change on the fly so I'll have an option to change it in xorg.conf easily, just haven't figured out exactly how I want to parse xorg.conf yet (I have some ideas though).

edit: to explain a little better it changes two keys in gconf under the compiz section.
    got that part, looked into the code, and found the respective lines!
    I've got more suggestions, it's up to you take it or not.

#Setting ACPI Thermal Polling Frequency to 5 seconds
    #Battery
    echo 5 > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/polling_frequency
    #AC
    echo 0 > /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/polling_frequency
    Altough this value, could be higher, it stops acpi to keep pooling every second when on battery. it checks the temperature, and see if it is okay

2. Cache Writing
    This option could appear by default in hdparm, i use it here
    -W 1 # cache writing enabled, improves performance
    -W 0 # cache writing disabled, normal performance

3. In my case I use only wireless, and the eth0 keeps pooling, and keep processor busy
    ifconfig eth0 down
    mopdrobe -r forcedeth #my ethernet module

4. Setting the highest frequency for the processor and make sure it is ondemand
    echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    # My processor highest is 1.9 GHZ and set it get 1.6 GHZ, it is experimental, i don't know it is worthy
    echo 1600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

5. Enable , Disable NMI_watchdog
    from powertop = "The NMI watchdog is a kernel debug mechanism to detect deadlocks"
    echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog #battery
    echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/nmi_watchdog # AC
    But it seems this option causes problem in some hardware, I think it shouldn't be enabled by default

6. Taking down gnome-power-manager
    It uses to often the processor, in 8.04 I know that, I don't know about 8.10. It is better to use acpi applet to check battery state.

7. There is this program xset, which controls when the monitor is going to turn off.

I really want that program to succeed, and in the next weeks I'll be partially on vacation. And I know a hard part of doing a program, it is its documentation, which about power management, is very difficult to find. If you want, I can help you with that.
    Cheers
    Last edited by felipefoz; November 29th, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

Beans

ok sounds good, I'll add those options when I get a chance. I appreciate the help with this.

Beans

ok added acpi thermal polling frequency, hdparm cache writing, and nmi watchdog. Checked on gnome-power-manager and it doesn't seem to make a difference disabling it in intrepid so I'm not gonna add that unless I see a reason to. The screenshot is on my 1420N with all the relevant options on. 10 watts...not too bad. I could probably get it lower if I turned off the wifi and turned off DRI on the video card. Keep the recommendations coming on power saving options, and I'll try to get around to adding the stuff that I haven't added soon. With new ideas could everyone put them in as feature requests here http://code.google.com/p/wattospm/issues/list it'll just make it easier for me to track them.

edit: also heres a thread on using kernelcheck to compile your own kernel http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=kernelcheck . in case you want to enable pcie aspm. It's really easy to use, make sure you select just pcie aspm not pcie aspm debug.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by iggykoopa; November 30th, 2008 at 06:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

when exiting the application are settings reverted to default?

Also I am just assuming that "Enabled" actually means that in power save mode that item will be disabled.
    Last edited by chadeldridge; December 1st, 2008 at 01:02 AM.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast