Thread: [SOLVED] Wireless modem

Beans

Question [SOLVED] Wireless modem

I'm a total newbie, obviously, but I got a new laptop and thought I'd give linux a try. The laptop is second hand, and there is an ethernet card, but there was no internal wireless modem. I picked up a D-link WUA 2340 wireless adapter, and managed to use ndiswrapper to adapt the driver for linux. It worked well, and I was able to connect to the wireless connection at work.

However, now that I've turned off the computer and restarted it, I can't get the OS to even notice that I've got a wireless modem installed, much less find and connect to wireless connections.

Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the driver? How would I uninstall it? Can I use ndiswrapper again? Is there something I'm not seeing? is there anyone who can help?

It's been a long time since I had to work in a command line interface, but I've found I've been picking it up again quickly, so I'm not afraid of entering the system prompt.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Wireless modem

Hi Father Shaggy and welcome to Linux! Sorry to hear it's not quite working as expected but no worries. Since you didn't specify which version of Ubuntu Linux, I'll assume it is either Hardy Heron (8.04) or Intrepid Ibex (8.10).

Have a look at this page which directly addresses setting up the Dlink WUA 2340 in Ubuntu Hardy (instructions should work the same for Intrepid).
    http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/...-wireless.html

It's very likely that while the wireless actually does work, NetworkManager is not able to use it properly. the link above addresses this and how to work around it.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Father Shaggy View Post
    Do I have to uninstall and reinstall the driver? How would I uninstall it? Can I use ndiswrapper again? Is there something I'm not seeing?
    If it works once, there's no need to [un/re]install the driver.

Just load the ndiswrapper module
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    and your wireless should be active again. If it isn't see
    Code:
    dmesg | tail
    for details on why it has failed.

To automatically load ndiswrapper module on boot, add it to the end of your /etc/modules file; just the word ndiswrapper, on a line by itself, at the end. Remember to leave a blank line at the end of the file.
    Cheers,PRShah
    Make your own: Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Mythbuntu All-in-One Live DVD
    "I never make mistakes; I thought I did, once.. but I was wrong."

Beans

Smile Re: Wireless modem

Fire_ Chief: Thanks. That blog post is how I got it to work in the first place.

prshah: Thanks to you, as well. I'll give it a shot in a bit, and let you know the results in this thread.

Beans

Question Re: Wireless modem

prshah:

Thanks for the help. The driver start took care of it. However, I can't change the "modules" file. It says I don't have permission. I tried just opening it through the file tree on the desktop, and it wouldn't let me save changes. Do I need to edit it through the command line? How can I get permission?

Beans
    Distro

Do I need to edit it through the command line? How can I get permission?
    There are various ways, but the simplest is to press Alt+F2 and give this command
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    Be careful when editing this file. Make your change, save and quit. If you want a closer look at the file, repeat the above command but without gksudo; then it will open as read-only and you can look through it at your hearts' content.
    Cheers,PRShah

Beans

Thanks. I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Beans

We're all good. Thanks a bunch!

Beans
    Distro

We're all good
    Can you mark this thread "solved"? Click on "Thread Tools" near the upper right hand side of this page, and choose "Mark Thread as Solved".
    Cheers,PRShah