Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Survey: All Ubuntu Users Should Answer! Future Ubuntu Development

Beans

Re: Survey: All Ubuntu Users Should Answer! Future Ubuntu Development

Just for Clarification, these features should be discussed:
    Multitouch Interface (/dev/mts1)
    File Shredding (/usr/bin/x-rm)
    Single File Programs(/dev/pkg1)
    Cubic File Previews (/usr/bin/compiz.real --plugin "FileCubes")
    Gigabit Home Networking Server / Client (G.hn://)
    Screen Sharing (/usr/bin/x-telnet -s "shareScreen")
    Remote Access (/usr/bin/x-telnet)
    Ext4 File System Editor for Search Of File Contents (/bin/e4fsedit)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's a private company owned by Mark Shuttleworth. Interesting that shares might actually be a bad idea since it puts strain of the business to earn profit before creating a good business.

What did that survey do to help guide development? I was expecting to be asked questions like, "What features would you like to see in future releases?" and perhaps be asked to check off 3 or 4 boxes out of 30 or something like that.
    Quiblo is a free survey/polling website. Write one and I will answer it. I'd be interested in that survey too. But right now I'm interested to see if Ubuntu Development can be funded from end users directly.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'
    Programmer, Teacher and Artist

Beans

are you thinking of overthrowing mark shuttleworth, or is he taking his money somewhere else or something?
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

are you thinking of overthrowing mark shuttleworth, or is he taking his money somewhere else or something?
    I'm thinking that we need a more direct route of funding to speed up ubuntu development. Marks money is sustaining, but does it give us the velocity of improvements we would like to see?

I believe only users (businesses and home users) can really provide the funding for supporting further development in a scalable way. Even with 1/10th of the funding of Microsoft, Ubuntu could hire many times the developers.
    42 is not an anwser, it's an error code. the universe is saying 'Error 42: meaning to universe not found'

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Taken.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorMO View Post
    I'm thinking that we need a more direct route of funding to speed up ubuntu development. Marks money is sustaining, but does it give us the velocity of improvements we would like to see?

I believe only users (businesses and home users) can really provide the funding for supporting further development in a scalable way. Even with 1/10th of the funding of Microsoft, Ubuntu could hire many times the developers.
    i'm probably a bit odd because i could happily use something like edgy for quite a few years, right now i'm using suse 10.2. but, if you think it's needed go for it. i'm not using the lastest version of ubuntu, but have seen a few people start to question various things about it.
    Thanks to the forums staff for your dedication and hard work
    (the admins changed my sig to that lol )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i'm probably a bit odd because i could happily use something like edgy for quite a few years, right now i'm using suse 10.2. but, if you think it's needed go for it. i'm not using the lastest version of ubuntu, but have seen a few people start to question various things about it.
    Interestingly, Free Software is quite expensive. Even just the research and development into new and interesting applications. If we stop funding this kind of development then we risk stagnation and loosing functionality we don't even know exists yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Few more to go. I didn't manage to get this thread on any blogs or anything. I don't think it's a well received idea yet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234