Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Version 8.10 and Brother HL-2140 printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: [SOLVED] Version 8.10 and Brother HL-2140 printer

I'm able to get the HL-2170W working fine with the driver that comes with Intrepid 8.10 (at least that came on my system76 laptop).
    I have been successful for printing when I connect printer hardwired to my router via ethernet cable.
    What I learned - DON'T use the cups printer web admin interface. Even when I used correct URI, it didn't work. (I'm referring to http://localhost:631/)
    When I used correct URI when adding new printer via the System Admin pull down menu, Printing option, NEW, worked great.
    URI that works with ethernet hardwired to router and print command entered from my laptop connected via wireless interface (I.E. without ethernet cable):
    ipp://localhost/ipp/

Next problem to solve, how to disconnect my printer from router and still have printing work. I think it is supposed to but haven't figured out how to invoke wireless setup command for printer (so I can enter passphrase, etc). I've just tried wifi-radar and don't think it will work for printers but haven't totally given up yet.

Beans

I had the same problem ... a brother 2140 that DOESNT work with the brother 2140 driver ... put in the hl 2160 driver ... works like a charm.

Beans

Smile Re: [SOLVED] Version 8.10 and Brother HL-2140 printer

Thanks for the tip on the HL-2060 driver.

I had exactly the same problem with the Brother HL-2140 with Ubuntu 9.04. The debian driver provided on Brother's website failed to install. I can give you the details later.

Ubunto 9.04 detected the printer as a 2170W and while it all went well as far as installation and the print process go, there was no actual printout.

I'll try the HL-2060 driver and see how it works.

Thanks once again.

Beans

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a cheaper print scan (brother) is there a list of compatiblity for this one?
    BROTHER DCP-145C MultiFunction 3 in 1

many thanks

Fergus

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Theferg View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a cheaper print scan (brother) is there a list of compatiblity for this one?
    BROTHER DCP-145C MultiFunction 3 in 1

many thanks

Fergus

ps if this one is OK I will go and purchase it, does anyone recommded good cheap online stores?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I just installed this printer today. Tried following the instructions on Open Printing and on Brother's site, no go. All that happened was endless feeding of paper with no printing happening.

I then followed the advice of using the HL-2060 driver and it prints fine, but I can only print up to 600 dpi (high quality).

If anyone can break it down on how to install the correct drivers in order to be able to print at 1200 dpi, it would be much appreciated.

Beans

Am using HL-2140 with 9.04 plus Brother HL-2060 driver and it works. I have set the printing to high quality and to be honest on a printed page of text I can not seem to tell if it is 600 or 1200 dots per inch, it looks to me good quality whatever the setting.

Thanks for the advice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12