Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HowTo: VMware Tools on Ubuntu 8.10 Server JeOS (ESXi 3.5)

Beans

HowTo: VMware Tools on Ubuntu 8.10 Server JeOS (ESXi 3.5)

I managed to install VMware Tools on Ubuntu 8.10 Server JeOS (64-bit) on ESXi 3.5.0, build 110271. It was complicated so I thought I'd share. Now I still have a question about paravirtualization at the end of this post.

When you define your VM, set the network adapter to be E1000 at first.

INSTALLING THE OS

Start the virtual machine and in the console select the language and press F4 to change the mode to Install a minimum virtual machine. Press Enter to start the installation.

Select the following items from the desired services (this is for what I intend to do with my server, you might need different options):

• Basic Ubuntu server
    • DNS server
    • OpenSSH server
    • Samba file server
    • Virtual Machine host

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

INSTALL THE VMWARE TOOLS

According to Peter Cooper and many other posts out there, there is a problem compiling VMware tools in Ubuntu. So we will follow the workaround using parts of the open source tools.

Install dependency for VMware Tools:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) psmisc
    sudo apt-get install gcc binutils make wget
    And for the hack with the open tools I also installed the following (although some of these were found on sites describing what's needed for Ubuntu with a GUI, some might be unnecessary):
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
    sudo apt-get install libproc-dev libdumbnet-dev xorg-dev
    cd /tmp
    sudo mkdir liburiparser
    cd liburiparser
    sudo wget http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian/pool/main/u/uriparser/liburiparser1_0.7.2-0exp1_amd64.deb
    sudo wget http://ftp.ie.debian.org/debian/pool/main/u/uriparser/liburiparser-dev_0.7.2-0exp1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i liburiparser1_0.7.2-0exp1_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg –i liburiparser-dev_0.7.2-0exp1_amd64.deb
    sudo apt-get install libicu-dev
    Go to /tmp and download the open source version of the tools from here.
    Code:
    sudo wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/open-vm-tools/open-vm-tools-2008.11.18-130226.tar.gz?modtime=1227030450&big_mirror=0
    Unpack and build the open-vm-tools:
    Code:
    sudo tar xzvf open-vm-tools*.gz
    cd open-vm-tools-2008.11.18-130226
    sudo ./configure --includedir=/usr/include/uriparser
    sudo make
    In the VMware management console, right click on the VM and tell VMware to install the VM tools then copy the tools:
    Code:
    sudo mount /media/cdrom0
    sudo cp -a /media/cdrom0/VMwareTools*.gz /tmp/
    cd /tmp/
    sudo tar -xzvf VMwareTools*.gz
    From the open source modules/linux folder we have the vmblock, vmhgfs, vmmemctl, vmsync and vmxnet modules that we need to tar up and place into the official VMware tools tarball:
    Code:
    cd /tmp/open-vm-tools-2008.11.18-130226/modules/linux/
    for i in *; do sudo mv ${i} ${i}-only; sudo tar -cf ${i}.tar ${i}-only; done
    cd ../../..
    sudo mv -f open-vm-tools-2008.11.18-130226/modules/linux/*.tar vmware-tools-distrib/lib/modules/source/
    Now we can run the regular VMware tools installer accepting all the defaults:
    Code:
    cd /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib/
    sudo ./vmware-install.pl
    Activate the vmxnet drivers:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking stop
    sudo depmod –a
    sudo modprobe vmxnet 
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking start
    Shutdown with sudo
    Code:
    init 0
    and in the management console edit the VM settings, delete the Network Adapter that was previously created and create new ones with vmxnet settings.

Start the VM and this step should be complete.

So the last thing that I haven't figured out is that I thought that after installing VMware Tools, I could turn on Paravirtualization in ESXi for this VM. I did turn on the VT option in the bios of my host machine, but I still get the message "This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU." Can anybody help ?
    Last edited by marcpem; December 27th, 2008 at 06:40 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HowTo: VMware Tools on Ubuntu 8.10 Server JeOS (ESXi 3.5)

I think the problem is JeOS is a 32 bit ...

what is the output of
    Code:
    uname -m
    In that event, try the minimal install CD (for 64 bit).

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Hi,

thanks for this really great guideline. Works great!

Regards,
    CC
    Last edited by corranchetano; November 21st, 2008 at 12:35 PM.

Beans

When I turn paravirtualization off and boot the VM, the output of command is:
    Code:
    $uname -m
    x86_64
    So it seems that when I turn paravirtualization on, the ESXi 3.5 generates a virtual CPU as i686 instead of using the real 64-bit CPU?

Beans

I have a problem here

In the VMware management console, right click on the VM and tell VMware to install the VM tools then copy the tools:
    Code:

sudo mount /media/cdrom0

the sudo mount /media/cdrom0 doesn't work whether I have no CD or a blank CD. I don't know where I can go to see the VMware management console. I am using Ubunto 8.10 but there are some slight differences (like I have a i386 not amd64). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans

Ok, I have a problem with the following line:

sudo for i in *; do sudo mv ${i} ${i}-only; sudo tar -cf ${i}.tar ${i}-only; done

Is this line correct, and does it work? I've entered it exactly like that, and it comes back with an error "bash: syntax error near expected token 'do'

I've tried it over and over and over again. It doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

This falls under the section entitled:
    "From the open source modules/linux folder we have the vmblock, vmhgfs, vmmemctl, vmsync and vmxnet modules that we need to tar up and place into the official VMware tools tarball:"

The second line down says:

sudo for i in *; do sudo mv ${i} ${i}-only; sudo tar -cf ${i}.tar ${i}-only; done

I've been unable to get that line to work. Any suggestions as to what could be wrong? Is there an error with that line, or are there any other commands I could use?

Beans

Malewski:

I had the same error with the for loop line; I know nothing about shell scripting, but it seems like removing the first 'sudo' fixed it.

Beans

marcpem: fantastic guide, everything seems to have worked!

Well, except for one thing

When it asks 'Please choose one of the following display sizes that X will start with', I chose not the default, but a higher resolution.
    It spat out an error: 'error setting MTTR (base = 0xf8000000, size = 0x00400000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)

So it looks like everything worked just peachy, except I can't change the resolution -- even in System->Screen Resolution, I only get the default vmware resolutions.

I don't really know anything about X or setting the screen resolutions (except some vague traumatic memories from a few years ago) ... any hints on how to coerce this to comply?

thx!
    Last edited by fourseven; December 27th, 2008 at 06:00 AM. Reason: stupid question

Beans

Aha! I found the culprit: the default memory video size is 4MB, which only allows screen sizes up to 1180x885

I found a workaround here: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/90634

Edit the corresponding .vmx file, adding this line to it:

svga.vramSize = 23040000

(This will enable resolutions up to 2360x1770)

cheers!

Beans

Thanks fourseven, I updated the post and removed the first "sudo" from this line.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast