Thread: [SOLVED] Internet Connection Sharing: can't ping

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Unhappy [SOLVED] Internet Connection Sharing: can't ping

I have been trying (and failing) to set up ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on my server.

I have been using several How-To guides from the forums. Now I can no longer even ping on the Internet interface, and I can't work out how to undo whatever is causing the problem.

When I run 'ping -I ppp0 <ip_address>' I get the message "ping: sendmsg: Operation not permitted".

My network config is:
    eth0: 192.168.0.1 static (currently disconnected for testing)
    ppp0: dynamic (this is a Huawei E220 USB UMTS modem)

The PPP connection is established OK with wvdial and with Gnome-ppp. An IP address is assigned for ppp0, and DNS servers are set (they appear in my resolve.conf). When I started trying to set up ICS, I was able to connect to the internet once the pppd was started (browsing, email, ping, etc.).

I followed the How-To guides,and did as follows:
    1. iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o ppp0 -s 192.168.0.0/24 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
    2. iptables -A FOWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
    3. iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE

Doing the above didn't get ICS working, but also didn't break anything. The entries in iptables are reset after a reboot, and after running '/etc/init.d/networking restart' so I have tested with and without these.

In addition I tried: 'route add default ppp0'. This also didn't get ICS working, but also didn't break anything.

I also set up forwarding:
    'sudo sh -c "echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" '
    and added to /etc/sysctl.conf -
    net.ipv4.conf.default.forwarding=1
    net.ipv4.conf.all.forwarding=1

When I try to ping without specifying the interface to use, the ping attempts are going to ppp0, so it seems that ppp0 is my default route. I can ping to eth0 by specifying the interface, and this works without error.

Does anyone have any ideas why I can no longer ping or access the internet?

My next step will be to undo the changes to /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward" & /etc/sysctl.conf. After that, the system should be back to how it was before. If that doesn't work, I will probably try to flush iptables. Any other suggestions would be welcome.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Internet Connection Sharing: can't ping

operation not permitted comes from your kernel blocking the packets. This means, that you have done more iptables rules than you have written down here. Most likely, your INPUT and OUTPUT chain are on DROP or REJECT. Open them up again and pinging will work again. At leat the loopback should be able to connect to itself

these are generic commands that will allow any traffic passing from, through and to your server:
    Code:
    sudo iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT
    sudo iptables -P FORWARD ACCEPT
    and taking the ip_forwarding out again does not make a difference here

hope this helps

PS: if this fixes the problem at hand, you should read up on how iptables really works...
    Calvin: I'm being educated against my will! My rights are being trampled!
    Hobbes: Is it a right to remain ignorant?
    Calvin: I don't know, but I refuse to find out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Internet Connection Sharing: can't ping

I fixed it.

It was indeed a problem with the firewall.

I am using Firestarter. All I had to do was to go into the preferences and set the Network preferences for Internet Connection sharing & DHCP.

Cool.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.