Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What does software REALLY install?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Beans
    66

    What does software REALLY install?

    I'm a bit fed up right now with secrets held by closed source people.

    For instance, if you follow the link on my signature, it leads to a video on youtube showing some of the conspiracies around Vista. I was shocked, and now I try to use Vista as little as possible, particularly restricting access to the internet.

    Also, I installed AVG Free Edition and went into my users panel, and AVG had gone and installed a user!

    You can't trust non-free.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Beans
    10,279
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: What does software REALLY install?

    Quote Originally Posted by Yownanymous View Post
    Also, I installed AVG Free Edition and went into my users panel, and AVG had gone and installed a user!

    You can't trust non-free.
    Non-free or closed-source

    The 2 are very different things AVG has a free version, however it is closed source, so you don't know what it could do, as you mentioned

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Western Australia
    Beans
    11,472
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: What does software REALLY install?

    Many services that you install on Linux will add a user, too. The user account will have only the permissions that the service absolutely needs; for instance, install Apache and the user account it creates will only be able to read data from /var/www and respond to socket requests.

    I'm sure AVG is doing the same thing. I'd rather it do that than run as root.

    There are a lot of "conspiracies" about Vista that are completely untrue; my favourite is "It scans your hardware every 30ms to check that it hasn't changed!".
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    128

    Re: What does software REALLY install?

    Unless you're able and willing to scan through all of the source code for your open-source software yourself, you don't really know what you're getting there either, do you?

    What if there's a vast conspiracy to hide spyware in a repo? What if the conspirators are the ones telling you you can trust "open-source"?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Aberdeenshire, Scotland
    Beans
    66

    Re: What does software REALLY install?

    I highly doubt that, because why take the risk of it being open source?

    Someone paranoid enough is bound to scan through it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Beans
    128

    Re: What does software REALLY install?

    Someone paranoid enough is bound to scan through it.
    Good...that's just what we want you to think...

    <SLEEP> <OBEY>
    <CONFORM>

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: What does software REALLY install?

    Quote Originally Posted by Joeb454 View Post
    Non-free or closed-source
    I thought they were pretty much the same thing. Nonfree refers to the freedom in licensing, not the monetary cost.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Beans
    946

    Re: What does software REALLY install?

    Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I thought they were pretty much the same thing. Nonfree refers to the freedom in licensing, not the monetary cost.
    It might be used that way, but it's still a confusing term. Better to clarify that it refers to licensing by using calling it closed source or proprietary.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Beans
    182
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Re: What does software REALLY install?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Many services that you install on Linux will add a user, too. The user account will have only the permissions that the service absolutely needs; for instance, install Apache and the user account it creates will only be able to read data from /var/www and respond to socket requests.

    I'm sure AVG is doing the same thing. I'd rather it do that than run as root.

    There are a lot of "conspiracies" about Vista that are completely untrue; my favourite is "It scans your hardware every 30ms to check that it hasn't changed!".
    Yep - they're called Service Accounts

    Cyrus (IMAP server) does, Oracle does.. so the tasks run with only those specific rights...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    US
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: What does software REALLY install?

    Quote Originally Posted by init1 View Post
    It might be used that way, but it's still a confusing term. Better to clarify that it refers to licensing by using calling it closed source or proprietary.
    Oh, I agree completely. The first time I saw the nonfree software in Synaptic, I avoided them because I thought "I'll start with the free stuff... I don't know if I want to pay for anything right now."

    Proprietary and closed source are definitely less confusing terms, but that doesn't mean that nonfree isn't at least supposed to refer to the same thing.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •