Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Record Internal Audio Mix with gtk-recordmydesktop using PulseAudio and JACK

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Record Internal Audio Mix with gtk-recordmydesktop using PulseAudio and J

Quote Originally Posted by pokapeski View Post
    got it!
    for the record. the thing is like this. you start pulseaudio.
    start volumemeter recording and playback
    then you start volume control and go to the recording tab.
    move all interfaces or whatever they are to the same device as the playback.
    start the streaming application. in this point the playback vumeter should start dancing with the music
    go to the voulumecontrol/recording and you'll see that another device has appeared. that's the one!
    Move device to the same as the one in playback
    start recording. it worked for me.
    hopefully it helps. hopefully i am not misleading anyone as i don't really know what i am touching.

disclaimer: if having problems, it wasn't me, blame someone else.
    Maybe your sound hardware is different somehow, because this is not necessary for me. All I do is open the record and playback VU meters, then in the Volume Control - Recording tab, move the recording VU meter to the Monitor Source of the ALSA PCM.

In other words, the only items that ever appear in my Recording tab are the VU meters.

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Record Internal Audio Mix with gtk-recordmydesktop using PulseAudio and J

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantOreo View Post
    Thanks for this thread Mocha! I used it to
    configure my Alsa settings, but it still didn't work (because I wasn't using the method involving JACK). Instead, I figured out how to input the proper Alsa device name in RecordMyDesktop settings to utilize my microphone.
    But what about the internal audio? I think you will still need to use JACK for that, unless you use the CLI recordmydesktop and start it with the padsp wrapper. I never attempted this becuase gtkrecordmydesktop is just so much easier.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    Maybe your sound hardware is different somehow, because this is not necessary for me. All I do is open the record and playback VU meters, then in the Volume Control - Recording tab, move the recording VU meter to the Monitor Source of the ALSA PCM.

In other words, the only items that ever appear in my Recording tab are the VU meters.
    dunno, actually when i was writing my post i had 1 pcm playback, 1 pcm recording, 1 monitor playback, 1 monitor recording and 1 pcm-wine-thingie(the app running the streaming).
    but don't really worry much about it. your config should work for the universe. it's just that i am the uber tester, i never get anything working at first attempt and if something does it must be an state of the art config

Beans

Thanks, you rock!
    I've been trying various ways to get this going with the audio but it kept coming down to a lack of hardware support over and over... but Finally!!!

Not to break the law, of course, but I'm off to test it with something playing in a free commercial music player in a Virtualbox Windows install

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DagMan View Post
    Thanks, you rock!
    I've been trying various ways to get this going with the audio but it kept coming down to a lack of hardware support over and over... but Finally!!!

Not to break the law, of course, but I'm off to test it with something playing in a free commercial music player in a Virtualbox Windows install

It should work, I record stuff coming from Virtual machines all the time. Just make sure VirtualBox is setup to use PulseAudio as the "host audio driver" in each machine's settings.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Is JACK also required for recording the internal audio alone, or is that only needed if you are using gtkrecordmydesktop?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mj_ja55 View Post
    Is JACK also required for recording the internal audio alone, or is that only needed if you are using gtkrecordmydesktop?
    Only for recordmydesktop. Actually, you could probably run recordmydesktop without it if you use the command line version and use the padsp wrapper. Using the gtk version is a lot easier though, and makes use of JACK.

Beans
    Distro

could you please post with screenshots or a screencast ???

whats the settings in JACK ?? you didnt explain,
    i have hw0, hw0:0, hw0:1; hw0:2, default, dev/audio as options ..
    I ran jackd as server

And i dont see JACK as an option in Pulseaudio SINK / SOURCE .. when i typed JACK in it, i cannot play mp3 from rhythmbox

im confused... i tried almost all combination of input / source is JACK but none works , and when i use DEFAULT , i cannot play mp3 in Rhythmbox ????

when i played mp3 before i start jack, it says hw0 already in use ?? whats the problem ???

please again if you have screnshots it would be lot of help

Beans

There's been a little change with Jaunty. Take a look at this thread for a procedure to build the Jaunty version of Pulseaudio with the JACK module http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1163390. All this procedure does is compile Pulseaudio with the JACK module which the Ubuntu devs didn't do originally for some reason. Then you just copy the module to your pulse library directory, it doesn't replace or mess up anything.

This is a critical step. When you start JACK you have to load that module, this is what I use the script /usr/bin/jackd for. It's explained in the guide I linked to in my first post. You really have to follow the guide I linked to in my first post to setup your Alsa/Pulse environment correctly, otherwise this stuff doesn't work properly. Ubuntu still has a way to go in getting a lot of this kind of stuff setup properly.

Here is a quick screencast, if you view it fullscreen it's readable enough to get the important parts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ykJmmRy6kI

Beans
    Distro

great job doing the screencast, problem is i cannot get pulseaudio compile from source.. i got error when make .lib module jack .la ;; its in the other post http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1163390.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast