Thread: Ubuntu Breezy and Multimedia failure

Beans

Ubuntu Breezy and Multimedia failure

Well, I have bitten my toungue long enough.

Ubuntu 5.10 is a great distro EXCEPT for multimedia integration. It is a complete failure.

I have tried everything and there is no 100% solution. Multimedia in Firefox will just not work bug free.

1. mplayer/mplayerplug-in works about 90%: It will play mpeg well but when clicking a wmv after a mpg, firefox crashes every time.

2. Totem plugin for firefox is 100% broken. Crashes firefox everytime.

3. Mediaplayerconnectivity extension for firefox is broken. Slows firefox to a crawl and doesn't play half the formats its supposed to.

4. Mozplugger doesn't work. Tried everything to get totem incorported but it simply won't.

So, I have tried working with the developer of mplayerplug-in and I have filed bug reports long ago with all of the applications to no avail.

What happened? Hoary had no problems with totem-xine / mozplugger. Never had a problem. And now nothing seems to work 100%.

And yes I have w32codecs installed. I am not a newbie. I have edited config files and read every document and post related to this on this forum and it seems I am certainly not the only one. There are hundreds of posts about this very same thing.

I would love to help fix this but i dont have the skills. Is there a way we can encourage a few developers to focus on this problem? I would gradly donate some $$$ to help the cause. I know multimedia is a touchy subject with Ubuntu beacuse of the licensing and all but there has to be a solution for Ubuntu to be considered a viable Desktop solution. Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu, and I am not bashing it. I am merely trying to get to the bottom of embedded streaming media.

nix4me

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Breezy and Multimedia failure

Quote Originally Posted by nix4me
    Well, I have bitten my toungue long enough.

Ubuntu 5.10 is a great distro EXCEPT for multimedia integration. It is a complete failure.

I have tried everything and there is no 100% solution. Multimedia in Firefox will just not work bug free.

1. mplayer/mplayerplug-in works about 90%: It will play mpeg well but when clicking a wmv after a mpg, firefox crashes every time.

2. Totem plugin for firefox is 100% broken. Crashes firefox everytime.

3. Mediaplayerconnectivity extension for firefox is broken. Slows firefox to a crawl and doesn't play half the formats its supposed to.

4. Mozplugger doesn't work. Tried everything to get totem incorported but it simply won't.

So, I have tried working with the developer of mplayerplug-in and I have filed bug reports long ago with all of the applications to no avail.

What happened? Hoary had no problems with totem-xine / mozplugger. Never had a problem. And now nothing seems to work 100%.

And yes I have w32codecs installed. I am not a newbie. I have edited config files and read every document and post related to this on this forum and it seems I am certainly not the only one. There are hundreds of posts about this very same thing.

I would love to help fix this but i dont have the skills. Is there a way we can encourage a few developers to focus on this problem? I would gradly donate some $$$ to help the cause. I know multimedia is a touchy subject with Ubuntu beacuse of the licensing and all but there has to be a solution for Ubuntu to be considered a viable Desktop solution. Don't get me wrong, I love Ubuntu, and I am not bashing it. I am merely trying to get to the bottom of embedded streaming media.

nix4me
    i fully agree with that ... why not make gnubuntu for the 'pure' free 'partisans' and ubuntu for the 'common' people ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you remove or disable the plugins you can have the movies launch in a separate process. The only plugin I allow is flash, and I use the flashblock extension to block all but those I explicitly allow.

You might try running firefox from the command line to see if it prints out any error messages before it crashes.

Beans

While removing the plugins allows linked videos to play, it does not allow embedded videos to play. Such as the trailers on apple/quicktime.

nix4me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by nix4me
    While removing the plugins allows linked videos to play, it does not allow embedded videos to play. Such as the trailers on apple/quicktime.
    Things are working for me.

Since they aren't for you, have you considered using something like Automatix?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu
    Things are working for me.

Since they aren't for you, have you considered using something like Automatix?

off topic maybe ... but i thought USA was 'the land of the free' ...obviously not -->
    PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL (23) IF YOU ARE IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. IT IS ILLEGAL TO DO SO.
    "Those free-livin’ straight-talkin’ Dutch are offering the low end 40GB LamaBox 400 for €279/$329 or a 400GB top-end LamaBox 900 with DVD burner for €479/$565," says Engadget.
    "Expect ‘em to ship with a subpoena if they ever come Stateside - you know how the MPAA and RIAA roll."
    http://p2pnet.net/story/7120