Thread: Lighter version of Ubuntu?

Beans

Lighter version of Ubuntu?

I tried Xubuntu but that's not light enough. Is there any other unofficial distro that's lighter than Xubuntu but is easy enough to install with just a few clicks like in Ubuntu and also has the Synaptic Package Manager and automatic updates, etc.?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Lighter version of Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by orangecakez View Post
    I tried Xubuntu but that's not light enough. Is there any other unofficial distro that's lighter than Xubuntu but is easy enough to install with just a few clicks like in Ubuntu and also has the Synaptic Package Manager and automatic updates, etc.?
    If you're adventuresome, you could start with an Ubuntu minimal install, and then roll-your-own. That would probably be as light as you could get.

See here for more information:

Modest Spec or Barebones Installation of Ubuntu

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans

If you want to go as light as you can:

sudo apt-get install jwm iceape

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I just read about this one this morning it is an Ubuntu based distro.

http://crunchbang.org/projects/linux/
    -- Coreigh

"Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible"
    ... Einstein or Escher, you pick ...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do you mean light in terms of resources used (speed/performance) or light in terms of space used (hard drive space, that is)?

Obviously the two can be related but they are not the same.

Beans

it may be better to switch distros (Ubuntu isn't particularly well geared toward light-weight installs)
    Try something like Puppy or Damn Small Linux

(the ISO for Damn Small is only 50Mb)

Beans

Crunchbang Linux is fantastic. It is quite a bit "lighter" than Xubuntu, but it comes with all the restricted codecs (like Flash) pre-installed, as well as a lot of really useful applications. Based on 8.04, and now there's a brand new 8.10 version available too!

Fluxbuntu was a cool project for its time, but I would not recommend starting out with it at this time, as it is no longer being supported and will reach end of life in 5 months.

Debian is another popular option. It's very similar to Ubuntu, so most of your skills will transfer, but a bit lighter. A minimal install of Debian Lenny + LXDE (or similar) would give you a very user friendly install with minimal effort.

The lightest distros are not based on Ubuntu or Debian at all. These include DSL, Puppy, etc. but my absolute favorite is SliTaz. The entire distro is under 30mb, doesn't get much lighter than that!

ps If you have specific hardware restrictions, like low ram or a small hard drive, post your system specs so we can give you more relevant advice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

yh, i'd second DSL - it is damn small.. But SliTaz (didn't know about this distro, thx).. that's damn tiny!
    btw, i was trying to install ubuntu on a really old machine the other day but i stopped because it was much too slow and laggy. However, I tried debian the next day and it was seemless. If ubuntu is debian based, why is ubuntu so much slower?
    sorry to go sorta off topic, thx