Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] OK just bought my Pangolin

Beans

[SOLVED] OK just bought my Pangolin

Was getting frustrated with my current laptop's lid flopping all over the place. Was either spend probably $200 to replace the hinges on an almost-5-year-old machine or take the plunge

Code:
    Pangolin Performance (PAN-P4) = $1,079.00
           Operating System Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex) 64 Bit Linux
           Display Resolution 15.4" WXGA Super Clear Glossy LCD (1280 x 800)
           Processor Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 3 MB L2 (25 Watt)
           Memory 4 GB - DDR2 800 MHz - 2 DIMMs
           Hard Drive 320 GB 5400 RPM SATA II
           Optical Drive CD-RW / DVD-RW
           Wireless 802.11 agn
           Bluetooth Bluetooth
           Extra Battery no extra battery
           Extra AC Adapter no extra AC adapter
           Car AC Adapter no car AC adapter
           Laptop Bag no bag
           Hardware Warranty 1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and Technical Support
    Support guys -- I had it shipped to a different address than my billing addy (so manual confirm), and requested 3-day shipping -- can I expect it to arrive in CA by next Weds (i.e. so I'll have it over the long weekend)?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: OK just bought my Pangolin

Probably not. There is a 5-day build process before shipping.
    Could potentially arrive before the weekend, though.

You'd probably be better off requesting status via email to sales, though.

sales(at)system76(dot)com
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

wow, insane what you can get for the money these days! I paid the exact same for the pangolin value a few years ago, and it certainly didn't look as sweet as this machine!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

another reason why I bought a S76 Pangolin over a Macbook Pro that has almost the same specs AND it's $900 cheaper.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ResumeMan View Post

Support guys -- I had it shipped to a different address than my billing addy (so manual confirm), and requested 3-day shipping -- can I expect it to arrive in CA by next Weds (i.e. so I'll have it over the long weekend)?
    Arrived today! Wohoo! Great so far. The mouse pad buttons are a little "tough" and with the fingerprint reader between them I'm having trouble "middle clicking," but otherwise it's really sweet so far.

I'll post more thoughts when I've had time to fiddle with it some.

Beans

OK so I've now been playing with this for a few days and for the most part it's excellent. Very fast and smooth, and generally pleasant to work with.

I'm having a few problems relating to power management though:

1. Lost Sound on Resume This is the same problem reported here and addressed in this bug report except that I'm running Intrepid. I tried re-running the S76 driver (version 2.2.8 ), but no luck. Should I contribute to the existing bug report? Start another since it's a different OS? Any ideas?

2. Can't reboot properly This has me a little weirded out. When I reboot, Ubuntu begins to start up, but then goes to a blank gray screen. I've tried sitting on it for several minutes, and nothing happens. To get up again, I need to hold the start button to turn it off and then restart (and everything is fine). Any idea what's happening here??

Thanks, I realize it's a holiday weekend, so I'm not expecting an instant response.
    Last edited by ResumeMan; December 1st, 2008 at 09:43 PM.

Beans

Oh, here is what I've done since I got it. I certainly may have missed something but this should be most of it.

1. Nos. 3 through 8 and 10 in this how-to. I imported a couple of existing Windows VDIs into VirtualBox

2. Installed Crossover Linux Pro and installed Rosetta Stone and World of Warcraft (trial edition) using it.

3. Installed Freeciv and Freecol.

4. Installed Gmount-iso and Htop.

5. Installed Samba client and moified /etc/fstab to auto-mount some shares.

6. Installed RealPlayer and VLC.

I think that's pretty much it. If I think of any other tweaks I made I'll add to the list.

Beans

So now the sound does seem to be working on resume. Go figure. It seems, possibly that it may bork after it's been suspended for awhile, but not when it's only suspended briefly. I'll keep tracking it...
    Last edited by ResumeMan; November 29th, 2008 at 05:36 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Run your System76 Driver and reboot. It adds a line to your alsa-base file that is required for sound after resuming. If that doesn't work, then we still may have a bug to squash.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thomasaaron View Post
    Run your System76 Driver and reboot. It adds a line to your alsa-base file that is required for sound after resuming. If that doesn't work, then we still may have a bug to squash.
    I will certainly try that this evening -- but has the driver changed since the weekend?? I've already run the driver and rebooted (or tried to -- see Item #2 on my list of concerns [any comment on that one btw?]) and the sound is still hinky. Done it a couple times actually.

On further use of the thing this weekend, the sound sometimes works on resume and sometimes doesn't -- and sometimes it doesn't work for a while and then starts working at some point.

Oh, I've also had the "network disabled" bug that someone mentioned. I haven't had a chance to try the fix mentioned, and it hasn't been a big deal, but I thought I'd mention it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast