Thread: How much hardware can I make Ubuntu power off without a shutdown/standby?

Beans

Question How much hardware can I make Ubuntu power off without a shutdown/standby?

I've started leaving one of my Ubuntu pc's on all the time, it's a gateway e-3200 pentium three, with 3 hard drives, cd burner, 2 sound cards, 2 network cards. I can access all my files on it using my palm TX.

I want it to always be on, so that I can get my files. However, I want it to use as little power as possible. Right now I have 2 of the hard drives go to sleep during the night, then it wakes them up and updates before I get home from school. Is there anything else I can power down on the system? It would be nice to be able to put my root drive into sleep as well (providing that it would wake up with the other ones). I would also like to shut off other things that I obviously won't be using while I'm not around, such as usb ports, cd burner, maybe the duplicate network and sound cards. How much of this can I actually do (and how do I do it?) I tend to like to use cron to schedule when things get shut off and turned on.

It would be nice to be able to slow the fan speed too, but I don't think the hardware supports that.

Beans

Re: How much hardware can I make Ubuntu power off without a shutdown/standby?

Bump