Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Usplash Smooth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Usplash Smooth

Quote Originally Posted by volanin View Post
    I just can't believe what I am seeing!
    This really made it to Digg's frontpage!
    Thank you for Vadi and everybody that dugg it! Oh... wow...
    Such a useful project deserves attention

Beans

Gave it a bash just because it sounded nice but I am truly floored at just how much of a difference it makes to my boot-up. It somehow feels like more is being done rather than stuttering its way through and yet I still get all the useful info.
    Well done sir, still room for improvement but very nearly there. Hope to see this become default in future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey guys, sorry but this just isn't working on mine...I reverted back to the original usplash on the directions you gave someone on how to uninstall. During my restart, my screen would go crazy and I wouldn't even see the bar...on the startup, it would work the same way as usual (not smooth). Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

this is awesome.. thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    volanin, does your experience with USplash extend as far as making USplash able to deal correctly with non-4:3 framebuffer modes? Currently the "widescreen" support consists of knowing when a widescreen monitor is used, and using a squashed 4:3 theme which stretches to 16:9
    The problem is that usplash uses SVGAlib as a backend.
    And as far as I know, widescreen resolutions are not natively supported.

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi
    Such a useful project deserves attention
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggers
    Gave it a bash just because it sounded nice but I am truly floored at just how much of a difference it makes to my boot-up. It somehow feels like more is being done rather than stuttering its way through and yet I still get all the useful info. Well done sir, still room for improvement but very nearly there. Hope to see this become default in future.
    Well, it seems that plymouth is scheduled for discussion in Jaunty UDS!
    If it becomes default in ubuntu, then we'll have something really great!
    Anyway, thanks a lot for the incentive, and let's move on!

Quote Originally Posted by tbuht_1
    Hey guys, sorry but this just isn't working on mine...I reverted back to the original usplash on the directions you gave someone on how to uninstall. During my restart, my screen would go crazy and I wouldn't even see the bar...on the startup, it would work the same way as usual (not smooth). Any suggestions?
    It's strange because usplash-smooth uses the exactly same source code for
    the ubuntu theme, with a few extra functions for the time-based progressbar.
    So it shouldn't break easily if normal usplash works for you.

Neverthless, version 0.5 code and themes are already complete. I am just
    touching up the documentation a little before releasing. Then you should
    definitely give it another try!

Beans

I tried it and it works great for starting up, but it doesn't work correctly on shutdown.
    It starts unloading the bar slowly, after about 2 seconds it is restarted to full bar and again unloading... then the system shuts down with bar at about 1/5 from the full bar (meaning, it didn't actually move much).
    What info could I provide you to help resolve this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bee View Post
    I tried it and it works great for starting up, but it doesn't work correctly on shutdown.
    It starts unloading the bar slowly, after about 2 seconds it is restarted to full bar and again unloading... then the system shuts down with bar at about 1/5 from the full bar (meaning, it didn't actually move much).
    I have seem this happening in Jaunty, but not on Intrepid.
    I am still investigating what might cause it though.
    Thank you for the bug report!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bee View Post
    I can confirm this on Intrepid as well. Startup works fine, but on shutdown I have the same thing happening as the above poster.

Beans

I had the issue of big fat chunky boot and shutdown splash

When I did a hardy to intrepid upgrade... my nice clean crisp boot and shut down splash screen followed. The I decided to do a clean install... big fat chunky boot splash and loading bar.

Reloaded hardy and nice again.. ( all on it's own mind you no tweaking of startupmanager) then upgraded again and was still nice. The redid a clean install and yuk again.
    The new install was done with the altenate iso, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
    I found your smooth boot and liked it and hoped it would solve my problem. But no.

I ended up using startupmanager to get the res right (1280x1024)... boot splash is nice now but the shutdown one is like a negative of what it should be... all strange colours. the original and the new smooth as well, not sure what to try next.. perhaps nvidia drivers 177.80 is the ssue???
    any ideas???
    Thanks Kev

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cszikszoy View Post
    I can confirm this on Intrepid as well. Startup works fine, but on shutdown I have the same thing happening as the above poster.
    I think this may slowly turn into an epidemic as mine started off fine for the first 10 or so reboots (on intrepid) but now it goes so far then starts from the beginning again on shutdown...

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast