Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Gateway M275 with Ubuntu Hardy Heron (8.04.1)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Network monitoring

I sometimes watch The Daily Show on Hulu, and have wondered about my bandwidth usage. Also, I have been messing around with uTorrent on my WinXP desktop, and learning more about ports and firewalls. AND, as indicated above, I checked out electricsheep, which uses BitTorrent to get the new sheep.
    With my first running of electrisheep, it sat there just saying "Downloading first sheep", but nothing happened, for hours. So I wanted to figure out if anything actually WAS downloading.

So I started trying to find a way to get some real-time network monitoring.
    System Monitor does have Network History, which is alright. Not much detail, and no options.

I looked around, and found a couple interesting options.

For real-time monitoring, Speedometer is a pretty good little program.
    I used Synaptic and installed 2.4-1.
    After RTFM, here's the command I use
    Code:
    speedometer -i .25 -rx eth1 -tx eth1
    Useful for watching. I can see Hulu buffering my videos, etc. But, the main drawback is:
    • Not giving any information about what program(s) are using bandwidth

Others include:
    • Non-intuitive non-linear "y-axis" scale, which can't be modified
    • Faster "interval" catches more accurate information, but with less "depth of history", i.e. no way to change the scale of the "x-axis"

So, now to figure out what connections are actually being made, tcptrack works alright. Installed 1.2.0-1, again with Synaptic
    Again, RTFM to figure out the options
    Code:
    sudo tcptrack -f -r 600 -i eth1
    Advantages:
    • The destination IP is revealed, so you can try to figure out what kind of network traffic it actually is
    • With the -r switch, you can set how long to wait before removing a closed connection; essentially sets the history length
    • Some interactive options; Sort, and Pause

Possible improvements:
    • No way to interactively clear the display

And then, of course, I found the tool actually included with Ubuntu by default, tcpdump.
    Advantages:
    • Can give TONS of information, including IPs, and lots more
    • Captures everything

I run the program with
    Code:
    sudo tcpdump -n -vv -i eth1
    And this was how I finally got what I wanted. I re-started electricsheep, and watched packets get sent out, caught the destination IP address, and figured out that electricsheep was indeed contacting its server, as well as checking with random other connections (assumed in a swarm of some sort). So I let it run all night and the next day, and finally I did end up with my initial sheep, and then on to neat flame fractals.

I figured out which server was being contacted with the useful
    Code:
    nslookup
    The last interesting thing was that on System Monitor, I have seen some occasional small blips, but never known what they are. Well, tcpdump solved that easily. Speedometer had seen this activity, but couldn't tell me anything about it. And tcptrack didn't record any open connection
    I didn't have to wait very long to catch the IP 91.189.94.4.123 which a quick Google search revealed to be the Canonical NTP time server, "Keep Synchronized with internet servers". These guys point that out (in addition to wasting space flaming each other, idiots.
    http://fixunix.com/ubuntu/255352-eur...-com-what.html

So now I can sit around semi-obsessively watching my network traffic live, and catching every bit </pun> of it.
    Last edited by ScottHW; May 31st, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Terminal, and Bash

key bindings, history size,

Modify ALL XTerm sessions (to change terminal size)
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=15471
    Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/vte/termcap/xterm
    change this line....
    :co#80:it#8:li#24:\
    change the values of co and li to be whatever I want, i went with 120x36
    Last edited by ScottHW; November 7th, 2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: more info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Xournal updates

don't know how/why, but the conflict with GDM seems to be gone

Upgraded to 0.4.2.1

Now the horz. line display glitches seem to be gone too

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Fan speed script

Quote Originally Posted by newfangled View Post
    I did write up a script to control the fan speeds though. Not sure if this will be useful for anyone else, but battery and noise aren't huge concerns for me, and sometimes I'd prefer if the laptop was cool to the touch. This goes from no fan, to Fan0, to Fan0&1, back to no fan:
    I put the script in /usr/local/bin, and made a Launcher on my Desktop. I expect that'll end up in my top panel before too long.

Fortunately, I just threw sudo on the front of the launcher command line, and I only have to enter the password the first time. Which is nice.

My concern now is will the automatic fan-speed sensing and control overtake this if it needs to be higher? I hope so; don't want to cook my processor.
    I have a sensor applet up on my panel already, telling me CPU temp. When I watch movies, the fan kicks on ~65degC. Just want to make sure his won't override that.
    I guess I'll have to watch and see.

Thanks, newfangled!

UPDATES:
    First, when I bang the fan speed up manually, I can keep CPU at 35degC, which is great. It keeps the right-bottom side of my laptop icy cool on my lap.
    BUT, the center of the thing is still pretty hot. Hmmm. Well, that's certainly no this scripts' fault.

As for automatic overriding, I cycled thru back to Fan0, and when things headed up to 65degC, it went right to Fan1. Now I just have to see if Fan1 goes to Fan2 under higher load....

Next, I don't like the terminal window popping up, even for a sec, as I manually switch fan speeds. I tried changing my Launcher from "Application in Terminal" to just "Application" but then it didn't work any more. Actually, I had to just go ahead and make a new launcher, because I couldn't find a way to change the Type of a Launcher.

Maybe this script could be updated so that the interface could be something a little cleaner... three graphical options, for the three fan speed choices? I certainly don't have the skills to do that... yet. So for now, I'll stick with just cycling manually with the launcher.

Also, the fan is still on the bottom of this thing, and when it's sitting on a bed, or my pants or whatever, fabric can pretty easily cover the inlet. There seems to be a little side-port next to the Kensington lock port, looks like if I take the keyboard cover off it might just slide up. I'll look into that and report back.

UPDATE 2:
    Used the linked instructions to change sudoers no more password every time
    Also created a launcher in my top panel, for easier access than my Desktop
    I grabbed a free icon from the Interblags, its attached
    Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ScottHW; June 3rd, 2009 at 07:46 AM. Reason: updates

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

System Monitoring

to be updated...

Status monitoring
    Applets
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=953132

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ripping / Burning

I need to learn better how to make disc copies

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=242251

More updates to follow.

I like the terminal dd commands. Need to know how to figure out the device name / path / mount point for my CD rom

Beans

Re: Fan speed script

Having replaced a laptop fan before, It's a severe pain to get to them. Usually the entire laptop has to be dissasembled. There is typicly onl;y one fan on a laptop, and thats the one covering the CPU. RAM, HD, and Battery will all still get pretty warm when in high use. There isn't anything you can do about that besides makes sure the bottom of the laptop has plenty of ventalation.

That being said... I would love a copy of this script as it currently rests so I can try it out. Thanks.

Beans

Re: Ripping / Burning

should be...

mount /dev/dvd /media/cdrom0
    /dev/dvd is the device and /media/cdrom0 is the mount point. Ubuntu doesn't require 9660 on the mount definition, but other distros would. That's what I use to manually mount my CDrom on my M275.

Also note...
    umount /media/cdrom0
    to unmount the drive.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Router crash...?

I've recently been having a weird problem;

With Gmail, through Firefox, when I try to attach a file, my Netgear router has been dropping the internet connection, crashing. Just a 2MB mp3 file. Have to power-cycle the router/model power strip to get back online.

I don't have anything for it, just a report of the symptoms now.

Tonight, after having a file sitting on my desktop for a month waiting to be sent, I finally got fed up. I started the commands I'd previously written for speedometer, tcptrack, and tcpdump.

Funnily enough, when I tried to attach the file, it did work.

So not much learning here, particularly since I'm not sure I can reliable reproduce the issue, but I thought maybe somebody else might have similar experiences, or at least some thoughts.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast