Thread: Help with laptop

Beans

Help with laptop

Hello, first, sorry if im repeating this or posting in wrong forum, if thats the case just tell me...

I need help installing ubuntu 8.10 on my laptop. It has a Intel dual core t2330 1.6ghz, 2Gb RAM and Sis Mirage 3 video card...

I can't give any log or error because what wappends its that i can boot with ubuntu, i choose the first option on the menu and i got the splash screen, a soon the bar moves it stops and never start again, in that moment i can't do anything, i tried ctrl+alt+f1/f2/f3 etc..

i'm kindda n00b so i'm stock here, google didn't help, i hope you can!

thank you very much

Beans

Re: Help with laptop

no one can help here? come on plz!

Beans

Could you be a bit more specific and explain what happens step-by-step?

Beans

I could but nothing happends... i downloaded de CD and im sure the cd its ok, i boot with the cd and i see the menu, i choose run ubuntu without any changes on disk (or something like that)andthe splash screen appears, but as soon the progress bar moves it stops and nothing else happends, as i said i can't do anything else there...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by hrharr0 View Post
    I could but nothing happends... i downloaded de CD and im sure the cd its ok, i boot with the cd and i see the menu, i choose run ubuntu without any changes on disk (or something like that)andthe splash screen appears, but as soon the progress bar moves it stops and nothing else happends, as i said i can't do anything else there...
    Maybe the CD is scratched or your computers doing something wierd and errorneous; you should try booting it on another computer (without changes, of course).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What kind of system is it? It may be that it is crashing b/c of video hardware. Have you tried the Ubuntu safe graphics mode or w/e it is called?

Beans

i'm sure that the CD is OK, i've tried with a cd that a friend used to install it on his computer, i also tried with linux mint but it's exacly the same thing...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

On another thread (I can't find it now), someone hits enter each time it stops to get it to start again. Not sure if there's any bug reports on this or not.

Did you use the "check the CD" option to check the ingtegrity of the liveCD?

Beans

If your partitions are set up and ready to install Ubuntu, you could just install it and see what happens. Oh, and by the way, how much RAM does your system have? You need AT LEAST 384 MB to run the LiveCD. I recommend even more. Good Luck!