Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Boot an existing Vista/Windows 7 (Physical HD) install with VirtualBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Boot an existing Vista (Physical HD) install with VirtualBox

I wish I could help, I just put together the tutorial, but I do not know too much about the process other than following them directly.

Beans

Thank you very much for this tutorial. Everything works perfectly following it, except that I need to mount the grub.iso image in VirtualBox, and therefore don't have room to mount the guest additions at the same time.
    I think one workaround could be to boot from a floppy img containing grub instead of the iso file. However, I didn't manage to create such an image working with VirtualBox. Could you please tell me if you think this is the right way to do and, if it is the case, indicate me the detailed step to create the floppy img?
    Thank you for your help!

Beans

I just realized my previous question came from misunderstanding how to install the guest additions. They have to be installed inside the guest using the iso guest addition image mounted in VirtualBox, after the guest has booted (it is then safe to unmount the grub iso from VirtualBox).

However, since the guest additions mess up the original drivers in the guest, which made it impossible to log in the real Vista thereafter, I had to remove the guest additions and to restore Vista to a previous state. So, I just abandoned the idea of using my Vista partition from inside Ubuntu using Virtual Box...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

you got your Vista partition to work with guest additions?
    i ask because i virtualized my Ubuntu/XP partitions on my last laptop and didn't have to use guest additions...

plus i saw this on the XP version of the tutorials...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Quick lesson of the day:
    Do not. DO NOT install VirtualBox Guest Addins for the "guest" OS if you still plan to dual boot with it; Windows will fail on startup when booting on its own. If you (like I) do this, do not panic. Boot Windows via VirtualBox, uninstall the guest addins, restart, and then (still in VirtualBox) run System Restore. And then never do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Picklesworth View Post
    Nope, my little lesson is directed at nobody. I just did that, then thought I should share what I learned lest anyone else bumps into it

That was with Windows Vista Home Premium, by the way. Results elsewhere may vary. (But don't count on it :/).
    Kind of a shame, since the guest addins certainly did work. Ah well, can't have everything. It's still plain cool, regardless of how the integrity of the universe hangs by a thread whenever it is attempted.
    could someone confirm this for me? i haven't virtualized my Vista partition yet and wanna make sure everything goes ok. thanks in advance

edit:just saw a few pages later that the Vista will search the CD for the base drivers
    guess i'll try to virtualize and see what happens...
    Last edited by run1206; February 9th, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
    Welcome to the world of Open Source!!!
    Linux User #471120 Ubuntu User #21997
    Jaunty Jackalope 9.04

Beans
    Distro

Mine works using the guest additions, but mileage may vary. I think I will take it out of the tutorial if others have problems.

You do not need the guest additions in order to use vista in the VM, you can run it without.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by canabal View Post
    Mine works using the guest additions, but mileage may vary. I think I will take it out of the tutorial if others have problems.

You do not need the guest additions in order to use vista in the VM, you can run it without.
    k, do you have to reactivate Vista in either case? i only have the key on the back of my laptop; they didn't have a CD in the package
    Jaunty Jackalope 9.04

Beans
    Distro

The activation problem is a continuing saga that I have no idea what to do about. I have actually since switched to windows 7 so I cant do much else to help. Windows 7 is MUCH better to use in a VM.

Beans

I'm struggling to get this. I'm using Wubi to install my Ubuntu, due to network problems I'm having on my native installation. I've managed to get somewhere, but the point I need to type in
    Code:
    VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename ~/.VirtualBox/WinHD.vmdk -rawdisk /dev/sda -partitions 2 -relative -register
    and replace '/dev/sda -partitions 2' with the right location.

Here's the problem. I have no clue how to do that xD. I have managed to do something, but when I tested it it goes like this:

WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER
    -CHOOSE WINDOWS VISTA
    --GO BACK TO WINDOWS BOOT MANAGER
    -CHOOSE WUBI INSTALLATION
    --START TO LOAD KERNEL BUT STATES:
    This kernel requires an x84-64 CPU, but only detected an i686 CPU.
    Unable to boot - please use a kernel appropriate for your CPU.
    Any help? Thnx.

Beans

I followed the instructions to use windows Vista that is on the original hard drive that came with the computer (a different drive than my ubuntu install). When starting an instance of Vista through Virtualbox I just get a blank screen. If I "reset" the Vista VM I get the windows "repair" screen. If I choose to repair vista I get the message: "the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessable."

Any ideas? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

i have not attempted to boot my existing Vista partition. Someone has to figure out the continuous activation problem.
    I'd do it, but i don't have a recovery CD for my Vista partition yet.

tsdcarla: check to see if you can still boot into your Vista partition (natively)

Veedrac: check your menu.lst file to see what your partition name will be...
    Code:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    i'm going to try to research more about the Vista instance in VM (since i finished school, more time to figure out this problem). I'll also check the possible solution that Sand Lee was originally gonna try; see where that may lead to.
    Jaunty Jackalope 9.04

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast