Thread: hello

Beans

Question newbi needs help with wifi

Hello everyone, just managed to partition my hdd to have vista and ubuntu on the same machine. i'm a total newbi to ubuntu and was wondering what i need to get my wireless usb key working? it detects my wireless network, but when i select it and enter the key it just won't connect. i just get the same window again asking me to input the key again. the wireless key is from netopia and so is the router. I know that my wep key is correct as the same key is working in vista, and i also tried to use it without any wepkey setted on the router and i cant connect. even changed the usb port of the wifi key didn't make a difference.

If anyone could help me out would be great as i wanna see how good ubuntu is.

regards

p.s hope this is the right prefix
    Last edited by zero_cool05; November 16th, 2008 at 10:34 PM.

Beans

Re: hello

anyone????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You should give more details, please read the sticky:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108

Post the output of the commands described in HOWTO post a Wireless issue.
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans

looked at that alredy, but don't understand it. checked the list for the wifi usb sticks, but mine wasn't on it

Beans
    Distro

Please post the output of this command

$ lsusb

Open a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal), write the command above and post the output.
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans

ok will try that. just need to reboot into ubuntu, and will the format of that be compatible with vista? as i can only use vista to go online???!!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zero_cool05 View Post
    ok will try that. just need to reboot into ubuntu, and will the format of that be compatible with vista? as i can only use vista to go online???!!!
    Yeah, no problem, it just a text output, actually use this command to get the output in a text file on your desktop

Code:
    $ lsusb > /home/$USER/Desktop/lsusb.log
    Then post the content of the file lsusb.log, you can open with any text editor you like.
    Best, Gnusci

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Please keep in mind that WEP and WPA keys may need to be entered as hexidecimal characters in some systems and/or as ascii characters in other systems. So just do a bit of home-work to make sure you are using the correct key PLUS the correct character coding, otherwise you will be using the correct key but still not satisfying the input requirements.

There is no spoon
    Best ubuntu pocket guide
    Can't believe, i've just spent 50 years writing COBOL code - oh, and i still love it