Thread: No wireless networks ever show up

Beans

No wireless networks ever show up

Ok, kinda new to linux and im running ubuntu 8.04 i think it is, and everything is installed fine and all, but my wireless say's its all installed but it simply does not show any sign of network connections. none show up, it doesnt even scan, i know theres a whay to fix this and you guys always ask for info for someone to enter a command line and give the results,

i need help

thanks

Beans

Re: No wireless networks ever show up

I solve this for my Thinkpad, see "Simple wireless solution" thread I started.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xadder View Post
    I solve this for my Thinkpad, see "Simple wireless solution" thread I started.
    im sorry, im reading it but im not finding a solution, im obviously missing something

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

we can start by doing a simple command from a terminal session.
    click applicaions>accessories>terminal to start a command session.
    Then type ifconfig. If you can find a way to post the results here it will help us to help you. There is a second command called 'iwconfig' that shows more details about your specific wireless configurations.

Obvious question, but i'll ask anyway, do you have any other computers that currently use your router ? If so, we can conclude your problems are not do to 1) your service provider 2) your wiring/cables/physical connections. It just helps to eliminate possible causes why your system won't work.
    thx
    jim

There is no spoon
    Best ubuntu pocket guide
    Can't believe, i've just spent 50 years writing COBOL code - oh, and i still love it

Beans

ok i got it guys, i simply grabbed a cat5 cable plug it in and it started to download a butload of updates and apparently a wireless driver was one of them and it works now, thank for your help anyways

Beans

hey, havin the same problem here but with 8.10. Wireless was picking up networks until I grabbed this "buttload" of updates. Now it wont find anything even though the wireless card appears to be working.

Any Ideas on how to fix this?