Thread: no AC power source --> very dim screen

Beans

no AC power source at boot--> very dim screen

Hi. I just recently bought a Samsung NC10, which I immediately put Intrepid on and love to death. I've got most things working reasonably well, aside from the usual wireless issues, but I'm having one problem that really has me stumped.

If I start the computer up connected to the charger, then the screen is at max brightness and the screen brightness applet works perfectly.

If I start the computer up without the charger, then the screen starts with its brightness at roughly half, maybe lower. The screen brightness app works, but even with it cranked up all the way, I can only get to this half brightness setting.

Basically, it seems like Ubuntu is detecting the lack of an AC source, and setting some kind of maximum brightness. It must do this pretty early in the boot process, as even the Ubuntu boot screen is substantially dimmer than normal.

Is there some way to undo this? I would really like to have full control over the brightness even when I'm on battery power.

[edit] I guess I should note that this happens regardless of the charge state of the battery. Also, I have power management set up not to dim the screen or reduce backlight brightness when on battery power.
    Last edited by Baodehui777; November 16th, 2008 at 03:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: no AC power source --> very dim screen

I know nothing about this issue myself (I use a desktop), but this post might help: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=568732 Go down to the 7th post (and below).
    Last edited by i-am-me; November 16th, 2008 at 04:30 AM.
    http://xkcd.com/391/
    Now if only this actually worked...
    No I'm not.. Should I be? What is Ubuntu?

Beans

Hi!
    Post #7 didn't help, but other posts in that thread directed me to a bios setting that was causing the problem. Thanks so much for your help!
    I'm guessing you found that by a forum search, which makes me kind of embarrassed. Sorry for the unnecessary thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

A google search and no problem. Happy to help.
    http://xkcd.com/391/
    Now if only this actually worked...
    No I'm not.. Should I be? What is Ubuntu?

Beans

Try the power settings. When the AC cord is unplugged, by default Intrepid will dim the screen. You can uncheck a box to disable this.

Edit : Sorry, ignore post; I see you have a solution already...
    Last edited by Jon Bradbury; November 18th, 2008 at 09:59 PM.