Thread: Is it really impossible to get an Atheros 5007eg wireless modem to work?

Beans

Is it really impossible to get an Atheros 5007eg wireless modem to work?

Bs'd

Is there nobody who can tell me how to get my atheros 5007eg modem to work??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Is it really impossible to get an Atheros 5007eg wireless modem to work?

Are you using Hardy or Intrepid? The ath5k module in Intrepid's 2.6.27 kernel should support it natively. In Hardy you will need the madwifi drivers. But, either way it will work, assuming by modem you are talking about the wireless chipset to connect to a wireless router.
    Bob

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is there nobody who can tell me how to get my atheros 5007eg modem to work??
    Perhaps not, given the information. Please tell us which version of ubuntu you are using and perhaps what you have tried.

There is a note about the atheros 5000 series wireless cards in the Intrepid Release notes if you are running the 2.6.27 kernel. If this applies to you, check out the note about 2/3 of the way down regarding your card:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Open a terminal and enter this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic
    Reboot, go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, disable "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards.", but keep "Support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards." enabled.

Reboot again. Now in your network program, you can connect to wireless.

If network manager isn't working, try Wicd.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick793 View Post
    Open a terminal and enter this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic
    Reboot, go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers, disable "Support for Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards.", but keep "Support for 5xxx series of Atheros 802.11 wireless LAN cards." enabled.

Reboot again. Now in your network program, you can connect to wireless.

If network manager isn't working, try Wicd.
    Bs'd

I followed the instructions, installed Wicd, because with the network manager I couldn't get it to work, but now I don't get Wicd to work.

When I type "wicd" in the terminal, he tells me: "Root priviledges are required for the daemon to run properly. Exiting."

How do I get around that one?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivorum View Post

When I type "wicd" in the terminal, he tells me: "Root priviledges are required for the daemon to run properly. Exiting."

How do I get around that one?
    like this:
    Code:
    sudo wicd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I ended up resorting to using ndis wrapper on my laptop - has worked well since.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans

ok got wicd to work, but now i can not scan for networks. it says no wireless networks available