Thread: Memory and Swap History = Flat Line

Beans

Question Memory and Swap History = Flat Line

I have an older system, Athlon/1200MHz circa 2001, that usually works well enough for general web browsing, not much more.

What I've noticed on all recent versions of Ubuntu, including the current Intrepid is that on the System Monitor, memory and swap history are always a flat line.

Disk use spikes normally, CPU hovers in the top quarter, often maxing out in the 90+ percentile, but memory always stays around 56~57% usage and swap is around 46%. That means my computer is using 433mb out of available RAM of 755.5?

Is there a reason why the system never uses much more than half available RAM? I've such little RAM that I can't imagine why the system wouldn't put more use to it. Or is this just a reporting glitch?

Code:
    $ /proc/meminfo
    MemTotal:       773664 kB
    MemFree:        133248 kB
    Buffers:         12696 kB
    Cached:         186520 kB
    SwapCached:      28692 kB
    Active:         424796 kB
    Inactive:       164868 kB
    HighTotal:           0 kB
    HighFree:            0 kB
    LowTotal:       773664 kB
    LowFree:        133248 kB
    SwapTotal:      313228 kB
    SwapFree:       262408 kB
    Dirty:              20 kB
    Writeback:           0 kB
    AnonPages:      378388 kB
    Mapped:          68260 kB
    Slab:            23272 kB
    SReclaimable:     9132 kB
    SUnreclaim:      14140 kB
    PageTables:       3448 kB
    NFS_Unstable:        0 kB
    Bounce:              0 kB
    WritebackTmp:        0 kB
    CommitLimit:    700060 kB
    Committed_AS:  1058824 kB
    VmallocTotal:   241656 kB
    VmallocUsed:      8952 kB
    VmallocChunk:   231660 kB
    HugePages_Total:     0
    HugePages_Free:      0
    HugePages_Rsvd:      0
    HugePages_Surp:      0
    Hugepagesize:     4096 kB
    DirectMap4k:     36736 kB
    DirectMap4M:    749568 kB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Memory and Swap History = Flat Line

That seems normal to me. If you aren't opening more apps, why would you use more memory? If the swapping is annoying, one thing you could do to potentially improve performance is to tell the kernel to prefer main memory. Add the following to /etc/sysctl.conf:

Code:
    vm.swappiness = 0
    Then run:

Code:
    sudo sysctl -p
    After doing that, your swap usage will drop dramatically while your memory usage will increase. Though, if you are already using swap, you won't notice this change until you reboot (or turn the swap off and then on but, that might not work if your total memory usage + swap is greater than the available memory).
    Don't try to make something "fast" until you are able to quantify "slow".

Beans

Re: Memory and Swap History = Flat Line

Wait, so memory usage like that is normal? I've tried running lots of applications -- web browser, video, tuxracer, etc., and still the system won't touch that top third of RAMspace. Isn't unused RAM kinda a waste, though? Or is my machine's bottleneck the proc?

I had a Mac (apples and oranges?) and on its System Monitor, general web browsing rarely ties up less than 512mb and given enough time, it would engulf the memory usage pie chart, so that's why I'm a little surprised this machine doesn't want to use everything it's got. Is Linux a bit more dilligent in freeing up inactive memory stuff?

Is there a reason why the system is using the swap at all when there's so much memory free? And is there a downside to forcing it to use memory instead of the swap?