Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help me pick a distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

help me pick a distro

i really digg linux and there are soo many distro's out there to choose from. ive tried ubuntu 8.04 , linux mint 5 kde & gnome editions, mandriva 2009. im looking for a user friendly noob distro. ive heard good things about fedora as well.

i really don't want to try 8.10 yet because i hear it's very buggy still and not much different than 8.04 other than wireless support. linux mint is really good but it is really out of date as far as the kernal and apps.

im leaning towards mandriva because its the only distro that supports full folder syncing with wm devices. but im not sure if i can get used to it as im used to debian systems. can you guys lend any advice here ?
    When life tosses you lemons.... Throw them at stupid people !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: help me pick a distro

well i'd stick to ubuntu tbh. and 8.10 is very good in my experience, not had any problems with it whatsoever...
    Neo Tokyo Skies Prologue

A prologue release of the MMORPG Neo Tokyo skies...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

1- you can try linux min 6 Beta
    2- You can try Mandriva (it is very good distro for starters)
    3-I tried fedora 10 beta, it is good also but you should wait for the latest release if you are using ATI card.
    4- Suse 11.1 is ok but their repos are sucks

Beans

Ubuntu is definately my overall favorite distro because of ease of use and because of the awesome support that we get on these forums

my second choice would have to be openSUSE

also i haven't tried it yet but fedora 10 will be released in 10 days

as far as 8.10 being buggy, that depends on what hardware you have

for my hardware ubuntu 8.10 has worked perfectly, and there are many improvements since 8.04

Suse 11.1 is ok but their repos are sucks
    i personally dont care for the openSUSE package manager (yast), but i think they have great repositories

plus, if you cant find something in the repositories that are included with the install, you can always use the package search to find new software and repositories online
    http://packages.opensuse-community.org/
    Last edited by tjwoosta; November 15th, 2008 at 06:12 PM.

Beans

I think PCLinuxOS might be good for you, it's a fork of mandriva but uses synaptic and apt-get

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by The Symmetry
    In this space which our eyes grace
    A simple way to make alliances between disparate peoples in the human race

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For me, 8.10 messed up Flash and did a couple other weird things, but nothing major. Installing Flash directly from Adobe fixed it.

I'd go with 8.10 first, since you're familiar, but I heard that the new version of Mandriva (might not be out yet, but it was scheduled for November, I think) has a very good implementation of KDE 4, with no snags like Kubuntu reportedly has.

I'd stay the hell away from Mint, though. They offer nothing special except their logo being pasted everywhere. And personally, using the Mint-specific google search by default bugs the hell out of me.

And Fedora isn't as beginner-friendly as the previously mentioned distros, but I encourage you to burn yourself a Live CD of it and give it a try. It's very good.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by tjwoosta View Post
    Ubuntu is definately my overall favorite distro because of ease of use and because of the awesome support that we get on these forums

my second choice would have to be openSUSE

as far as 8.10 being buggy, that depends on what hardware you have

for my hardware ubuntu 8.10 has worked perfectly, and there are many improvements since 8.04
    ill wait until the first of the year to try 8.10, i tried it this week and it would not boot. 8.04 works fine though. right now im using linux mint 5 and it is good but out of date.

maybe ill try kunbuntu 8.04 as i really digg the kde enviorment. why can't anybody port the apps from mandriva 2009 over to ubuntu so we can utilize wm syncing.
    Last edited by smooth3006; November 15th, 2008 at 06:15 PM.
    When life tosses you lemons.... Throw them at stupid people !!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by InfectedWithDrew View Post
    I'd stay the hell away from Mint, though. They offer nothing special except their logo being pasted everywhere. And personally, using the Mint-specific google search by default bugs the hell out of me.
    mint is a lovely distro to use. the experience is different to using standard ubuntu.

the mint-specific google search might be annoying but it funds the project. you can also change it so you don't have to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Symmetry
    In this space which our eyes grace
    A simple way to make alliances between disparate peoples in the human race

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by simtaalo View Post
    mint is a lovely distro to use. the experience is different to using standard ubuntu.

the mint-specific google search might be annoying but it funds the project. you can also change it so you don't have to use it.
    Yes, the applications bar is at the bottom instead of the top.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast