Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preinstalled Ubuntu 8.04 on Thinkpad R61i-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Preinstalled Ubuntu 8.04 on Thinkpad R61i-

From the boot messages (all text - a LOT easier to see what is going on - and how it came out of the box)... I would surmise that /dev/sda3 is the rest of my filesystem.

Thinking about it - I did dabble with SuSE 8 on my old Toshiba Satellite 230CX (HDD had died)... /dev/hda1 was /boot, and /dev/hda3 was /...

This would be similar?
    You could be right be certainty is required.

I hear that Linux Emporium are pretty good with support.

Why not just email them to ask if they are aware of any issues with your hardware and recent Ubuntu updates?
    Agreed!

To finish this off. You will need to know what is installed on each partition. The reason for this is that in the unlikely event that Update Manager updates break you system then you need to have a method of restoring everything. Using the system backup how to mentioned before then all you would need to do is reinstall 8.04. BUT during the installation you will get to a section called "Partitioning". The default here is "Guided - Use entire disk". If you are trying to restore your system then this is not the preferred option. You need to select the last option "Manual" which will then ask you what you want to do with each partition. So, in your case you would select sda1, set the variable for it to be /(root) and to format it as ext3. Then for sda2 for this to be SWAP. And lastley, if sda3 is /home then select /home from the options but DON'T format it. This is on the assumption that sda3 is /home. If it isn't then just re configure accordingly.

By this point you will be back to a working system, but it will not be the same as the one you had lost previously including all the additional packages & applications you had before. So, you move the tar file you created before everything went pear shaped into your /root folder and execute the unpack command detailed in the how to. KeeePow! You have restored your system to the state it was before the upgrade. The whole process is similar to what "System Restore" does in *******.

Hope this has been of assistance.
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by mapes12 View Post
    You could be right be certainty is required.

Agreed!

To finish this off. You will need to know what is installed on each partition. The reason for this is that in the unlikely event that Update Manager updates break you system then you need to have a method of restoring everything. Using the system backup how to mentioned before then all you would need to do is reinstall 8.04. BUT during the installation you will get to a section called "Partitioning". The default here is "Guided - Use entire disk". If you are trying to restore your system then this is not the preferred option. You need to select the last option "Manual" which will then ask you what you want to do with each partition. So, in your case you would select sda1, set the variable for it to be /(root) and to format it as ext3. Then for sda2 for this to be SWAP. And lastley, if sda3 is /home then select /home from the options but DON'T format it. This is on the assumption that sda3 is /home. If it isn't then just re configure accordingly.

By this point you will be back to a working system, but it will not be the same as the one you had lost previously including all the additional packages & applications you had before. So, you move the tar file you created before everything went pear shaped into your /root folder and execute the unpack command detailed in the how to. KeeePow! You have restored your system to the state it was before the upgrade. The whole process is similar to what "System Restore" does in *******.

Hope this has been of assistance.
    Pretty nervewracking, to be honest.

I suppose I'm used to corporate IT - where we have workstation builds and I'm following processes linked to already-built NAS restore processes (or restoring for a user means updating a service request that had been sent down). I never got into TAR so far...

On the LiveCD front... I do remember reading somewhere that R61s weren't all that good with live CDs...

Oh - I did go to System/Admin/Hardware Drivers, supplied my password, and on presenting me with something that might have looked somewhat like XP's Device Manager.. remained blank with the words "No proprietary drivers are in use on this system".

I closed it without making changes - I am ALWAYS nervous when elevating my permissions... what does that message mean?

Not used to monolithic OSs...

Beans

Hello my friend.

Could you post me your xorg.conf?

I have some troubles setting up good graphics for Debian Lenny.

Thank you in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

fdisk shows you have two ext3 partitions and a swap partition.

Just wondering which partition is used for what. to find out
    1st to find out how full they are and what the mount point is.
    please post the output of
    Code:
    df -h
    I use partimage to take my backups before doing major updates. works great. Howto: Backup with Partimage - Ubuntu Forums
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12