Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Web Design: Inkscape, BlueFish and WordPress

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Ubuntu Web Design: Inkscape, BlueFish and WordPress

Graphics is primitive. Doing detailed vector graphics is very time consuming and using raster graphics - photos and clipart is not Inkscape's strong side. At least for me as web designer the site does not tell me to abandon Photoshop CS2 under wine =)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alex.rayu View Post
    Graphics is primitive. Doing detailed vector graphics is very time consuming and using raster graphics - photos and clipart is not Inkscape's strong side. At least for me as web designer the site does not tell me to abandon Photoshop CS2 under wine =)
    The advantage of SVG is scalability. SVG works great for that and also works great as a flash alternative when combined with Javascript.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alex.rayu View Post
    The most time consuming process, the vector or raster, is very relative. For me, raster design is more time-consuming.

Inkscape is not a raster app and cannot be used for photos and clipart - for that I use GIMP.

I do not advice you to abandon Photoshop too, but Photoshop is to expensive for me and I love open source on the other hand.

Thanks for your reply though
    WPlancer.Com - PHP & WordPress Developer
    ProverbHunter - English Proverbs Explained

Beans

Of course open source works tools works great for web developing, i've been using only free tools for about 3 years now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by smartboyathome View Post
    SVG works great for that and also works great as a flash alternative when combined with Javascript.
    I've tried doing that some time ago, and I have to say that it is enjoyable to work with Javascript and SVG. It keeps things simple. However, I've come across some cross-browser issues, primarily with making text appear and disappear (Firefox vs Konqueror vs Opera). It's really no big deal but I've put off my exploration of this method for now.

Anyway...
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Open Source Web Design and Developement definitively works, I made my site with open source tools.

Another handy tool that one can use with Linux is Xampp, it's a local installation of Apacahe, MySQL, PHP (and a couple more) so that you can build and test your site locally on your computer before you upload it to the web. Pretty handy if you need to test planned changes to your site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by -yay- View Post
    Another handy tool that one can use with Linux is Xampp, it's a local installation of Apacahe, MySQL, PHP (and a couple more) so that you can build and test your site locally on your computer before you upload it to the web. Pretty handy if you need to test planned changes to your site
    I have XAMPP installed in my computer and I develop all my websitess and wordpress themes there.

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu Web Design: Inkscape, BlueFish and WordPress

cool website!
    I just saw on the page a post about not using table and using CSS
    I have been using tables alot and been wanting to learn CSS, would you recommend something to get me started?
    Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos01 View Post
    cool website!
    I just saw on the page a post about not using table and using CSS
    I have been using tables alot and been wanting to learn CSS, would you recommend something to get me started?
    Thank you!
    Hi Stratos,

I want to say that that CSS is great and very easy to learn. I am writing a full CSS tutorlial (in parts) from beginner to advanced and I have the first part ready - it just needs some polishing. It would be a good idea to subscribe so that you can be updated with the CSS tutorials.

Beans
    Hidden!

good job! a great testimonial to inkscapes ability to uhhmmm...create gradients? Sorry, being a smartass, but seriously, very nice work.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast