Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] 8.04 Not LTS?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: 8.04 Not LTS?

Quote Originally Posted by Robin T Cox View Post
    The OP asked about Kubuntu, not Ubuntu. Whereas Ubuntu 8.04 is LTS, Kubuntu 8.04 is not LTS because for the first time KDE4 was available as part of the distro.

See:
    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...er/002066.html

This will not affect updates via the Hardy repositories.
    Yea my mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by danbuter View Post
    It's amazing how Ubuntu staff don't know that.
    I made a mistake. I am sure we all have.
    Quote Originally Posted by PacShady View Post
    I really wish vanilla Ubuntu users would stop slamming us in a corner
    I believe I am the one getting slammed here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This thread is getting a bit too hot for comfort - let's all take a deep breath and then continue...

This thread advises that "Kubuntu Hardy will not be LTS, as per the tech board's decision."

The problem seems to be that neither the Ubuntu or Kubuntu website seem to give any definitive answer about when the next LTS version of Kubuntu will be. As this is a matter of concern to those of us who wish to install LTS versions, this is quite a dropoff!

I would appreciate a bit more clarity from those "in the know" about when the next LTS version of Kubuntu can be expected. It will also be interesting to hear views on the loss of synchronisation between the different LTS versions of K/X/Ubuntu etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    I would appreciate a bit more clarity from those "in the know" about when the next LTS version of Kubuntu can be expected. It will also be interesting to hear views on the loss of synchronisation between the different LTS versions of K/X/Ubuntu etc.
    I'm certainly not in the know, but my prophesy:

All derivatives will have LTS at next release (9.10). It is certainly not possible to have Kubuntu LTS without a corresponding Ubuntu LTS, given that Canonical are currently committed to Gnome as their primary desktop. Since KDE4 is likely to be well-established at that time, I wouldn't see any problem with that.

As for Kubuntu 8.04 users, they will continue to get full support for 18 months. After which, the non-KDE components will remain "officially supported" and KDE updates may either dry up, appear in backports, or continue as "unsupported" applications.

It's amazing how Ubuntu staff don't know that.
    In case there's confusion about this - staff are not selected because of their Ubuntu knowledge or prowess, but on their ability to keep the forums running smoothly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    ...All derivatives will have LTS at next release (9.10). It is certainly not possible to have Kubuntu LTS without a corresponding Ubuntu LTS, given that Canonical are currently committed to Gnome as their primary desktop. Since KDE4 is likely to be well-established at that time, I wouldn't see any problem with that...
    Isn't the next Ubuntu LTS scheduled for 10.04, rather than 9.10?

The problem is that the last (i.e. current) Kubuntu LTS, Dapper (6.06), reaches end-of-life in June 2009.

By synchronising the next Kubuntu LTS with the next Ubuntu LTS in April 2010, Kubuntu is unsupported in the period between June 2009 and April 2010.

This can only be resolved by installing an interim version - which misses the point of having long-term support versions!

Beans

Sorry for being pissed off in my last post. I just get a bit irritated, as I'm sure many Kubuntu users out there do, when we're pretty much considered second class citizens compared to Ubuntu users. We get less support, people look at us and say "huh?" when we ask for help, or start giving us info that would work perfectly fine on Gnome, without even noticing even if we say Kubuntu or KDE specifically in our posts, and sometimes it feels like Kubuntu is more of an afterthought, like Kubuntu is a derivative rather than an equivalent version of Ubuntu. It's not really Kubuntu, but more "Ubuntu, with a dash of KDE", or "Ubuntu is great, Ubuntu does this and Ubuntu does that and you should get Ubuntu! (oh, and we do KDE too, but shhh don't tell anyone)". Let's ignore the fact KDE is the desktop Linus himself prefers (we don't need to turn this into a KDE vs Gnome debate!), but can we at least get SOME recognition from you guys? We're Linux users too, you know!

'Shady

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Zill View Post
    Isn't the next Ubuntu LTS scheduled for 10.04, rather than 9.10?

The problem is that the last (i.e. current) Kubuntu LTS, Dapper (6.06), reaches end-of-life in June 2009.
    Of course you're right! 10.04 is the next LTS.

And I see the issue for you.

Unfortunately, Canonical would have to offer LTS support to all components (i.e. base components) to create a separate Kubuntu LTS prior to 10.04, which I suspect is unlikely.

Hmmmmm.... No easy solution to this.

Obviously, Hardy's base components will be supported past 10.04 (and have LTS status), although you may find that KDE3 / KDE4 updates don't continue to appear past Oct 2009.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12