Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Creating a Linux distro....

Beans

Re: Creating a Linux distro....

Quote Originally Posted by chris4585 View Post
    you're welcome

Thats why I made the scripts to make life easier

The scripts are well within a working state and are stable, and are constantly updated, I'll give you more info as I manage to work some things out first.
    Hmm im curious to know, does this just create a live CD to play on, or a live CD witch is instalable too?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    Hmmm....this gave me an idea

However I am only working on the concept for a new distro so nothing is really made yet.

However what I am going to do (my idea) is making a lightweight, but yet fully featured desktop working out-of-the-box.....I have never seen that yet! I will base this on Debian 5. I will take a further look at it now...I will inform you tomorrow how this will be.
    Well, look at TEENpup. That is lightweight (in a way) and very feature rich.
    Another round of Ubuntu for my friends here!
    Fighting to bring Pink back to The Pink Ponies archive.
    DELETE INSANITY!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gjoellee View Post
    Hmmm....this gave me an idea

However I am only working on the concept for a new distro so nothing is really made yet.

However what I am going to do (my idea) is making a lightweight, but yet fully featured desktop working out-of-the-box.....I have never seen that yet! I will base this on Debian 5. I will take a further look at it now...I will inform you tomorrow how this will be.
    umm.. Isn't that what Plusone Linux is trying to do??

*shrug* - there's also ulite that's trying to do the same thing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Naiki Muliaina View Post
    Hmm im curious to know, does this just create a live CD to play on, or a live CD witch is instalable too?
    That depends...

the current process is installable, using either scripts or (advised) ubiquity

I advise no one to use the scripts as of right now, I'll give further information later

There is something I need to fix, and on top of that I have a few ideas to make the scripts better
    Last edited by chris4585; November 19th, 2008 at 01:24 AM.

Beans

Some advice for the OP: don't ask our opinion. None of us asked you to make this distro or care about what you do with it. Making this is a fabulous learning experience and should be tons of fun. Just remember that you're doing it for yourself, and your opinions are what matter.

Beans

I think you are going about all of this in the wrong manner. Ubuntu already has many derivative distributions. From lightweight and flexible to over-the-top grotesquely large. When Ubuntu came around we already had too many Debian based GNU systems... now we have even more of them due to Ubuntu's popularity, and everyone's insistence on making his/her own distribution. Whatever happened to the innovation that brought us Slackware, Debian, Red Hat, Gentoo, Source Mage? Since those all we have had are recycled copies of the same darn thing. I am not saying that we haven't had good things come of this, but since Ubuntu's release I haven't seen any other distribution try anything really new. People are just taking the Slackware approach and applying it to Ubuntu now: Let's take every single application out there and shove it on a couple discs, and hand it to the user.

Down the line Ubuntu has: given us a new init system, shown us true integration of a desktop, pushed the limits of Linux's hardware detection capabilities, given us various apt front-ends, and even thrown some awesome tools our way. Cool.

Slackware gave us BSD fans a good migration to Linux, and gave us some awesome scripts to do many many things. For the purist it's still there.

Red Hat gave us a good package management system, many custom tools for desktops and servers alike, good visual themes for early Gnome and KDE.

Debian started the whole dep resolving package manager thing, and has managed to put itself on nearly anything computer-like. Hell, it may be on your toaster.

What can you offer us that has not already been done? Don't recycle the exact same distro with slightly different package selections, I could just make a script that installs them, put on the web and say - download this and it will make your distro more 1337. It would essentially be just "# apt-get install blahblahblahblahblah"
    if (linux == choice) {lsb != linux;}
    else {linux = windows;}

http://one.xthost.info/aios

Quote Originally Posted by fistfullofroses View Post
    What can you offer us that has not already been done?
    Just because it's already been done doesn't mean it shouldn't be done again.

Why criticize someone taking the initiative to learn and explore, just because someone else did it already?
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    Just because it's already been done doesn't mean it shouldn't be done again.

Why criticize someone taking the initiative to learn and explore, just because someone else did it already?
    ... because he could channel his efforts and willingness to learn to areas where he could be more useful, like helping out other distros or bug fixing (the need for people willing to fix bugs in existing distros is immense).
    ... because it wouldn't help anyone if it's already been done.
    ... because he doesn't seem to know how to go about making a distribution or even what a distribution is. This is likely to end in failure and a failure which could impact others.

Let's cut to the point and say things a little more bluntly shall we? This guy comes on here asking for ideas to help make 'his' distro, knows very little about making one and expects us to help him and give his ego a boost at the same time.

No offence, but I completely agree with fistfullofroses above.

Beans

Continuing this line of discussion...

When is it "justified" to create a distro? What is the line between something we dismiss as merely an repackaged Ubuntu w/ a theme change, and something we consider worthwhile?

Does it have to be as innovative as the differences between Slackware to Red Hat to Debian etc? Not every distro is aimed at technological innovation, but they doesn't mean they have perfectly justifiable reasons for creating a distro.

Many of "xyz desktop environment/window manager" derivative distros, are not technologically innovative, but have valid reasons for existing because they provide a seamless, out of the box experience of their mother-distro using that de/wm. Also in those cases, it makes more sense to it as an offer as an iso, hereby making a "distro" than making someone download a metapackage, especially if it something they're not going to change once installed.

How about distros created for ideological/religious/political objectives, are they any less valid? Again from purely a technological point of view, there's no point for creating the distro, but obviously many valid ones otherwise e.g Ubuntu Christian Edition being made to promote Christianity (Not arguing the merits of the cause or otherwise).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFH View Post
    ... because he could channel his efforts and willingness to learn to areas where he could be more useful, like helping out other distros or bug fixing (the need for people willing to fix bugs in existing distros is immense).
    But your reply assumes you know what's best for him and the distro both. There's a difference between having enough gumption to try something, and allowing your effort, time and desire to be channeled into someone else's project. I, for one, wouldn't want someone else to decide what I do.
    ... because it wouldn't help anyone if it's already been done.
    It would help me, if I want to learn it.
    ... because he doesn't seem to know how to go about making a distribution or even what a distribution is. This is likely to end in failure and a failure which could impact others.
    We don't learn by succeeding. We only learn when we make mistakes. If you refuse to allow someone to make mistakes, then you're denying them the chance to learn. Let him try, let him fail, and maybe learn something from it. There's no shame in that. For as many times as I've made mistakes, I'm all the more likely to learn for having done it wrong.
    Let's cut to the point and say things a little more bluntly shall we? This guy comes on here asking for ideas to help make 'his' distro, knows very little about making one and expects us to help him and give his ego a boost at the same time.

No offence, but I completely agree with fistfullofroses above.
    No offense taken, but I again, I fail to see why shutting down anyone's creative effort -- or suggesting they join another project -- is constructive at all.

Just playing devil's advocate, I guess. But at the same time, in an atmosphere that fosters creativity and choice, stunting someone else just because it's "been done" seems harsh.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast