Thread: New hard drive what file system?

Beans

New hard drive what file system?

Hello all,

I bought a second hard drive so I could keep all my personal files on one drive and OS and system file on another.

I have physically installed the drive in the system. Checked the BIOS to make sure it sees it (it does). Installed Gparted to format it. I just don't know what file system I need to put on it. My dev/sda is ext 3 when I choose to create a new partition on dev/sdb it gives me msdos, aix, amiga, bsd, dvh, gpt, mac, pc98, sun and loop. My gut tells me dvh however I have been wrong before

Thanks for the hep

Beans

Re: New hard drive what file system?

That's unusual, are you sure you can't use ext3 or ntfs? You don't need a mount point or anything.

If you want windows + linux use ntfs
    linux only = ext3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

i use fat32 just to avoid any permissions problems. plus, it's universal in the sense that any OS can read it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSonic4 View Post
    That's unusual, are you sure you can't use ext3 or ntfs? You don't need a mount point or anything.

If you want windows + linux use ntfs
    linux only = ext3
    For windows + linux I'd use ext3, its a more stable filesystem and if anything ever happens you have myriad free software tools to fix it, while with ntfs you need to buy proprietary windows tools to fix it.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

Thanks guy's I figured it out. Just needed to dig a little deeper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    For windows + linux I'd use ext3, its a more stable filesystem and if anything ever happens you have myriad free software tools to fix it, while with ntfs you need to buy proprietary windows tools to fix it.
    So would I, but you will need a utility such as Ext2 installible filesystem for Windows to access Ubuntu's filesystem. However, Windows DOES NOT pay any attention to ext3 permissions with this driver, so be very carful if you mount root in windows.
    |>[HowTo] Bump The BUMP Thread<||>Stats<||>19k<||>23k<||>26k<||>34k<||>37k<||>38k<||>39k<||>40k<|

Quote Originally Posted by lukjad007
    Backups are usually a good thing unless it's a sewer.