Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO Ubuntu Lite

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOWTO Ubuntu Lite

Quote Originally Posted by Ziptar View Post
    I got ROX on the desktop and Automount via ivman working last night. Now slowdown that is noticeable so far. Ivan automounts my USB Pen and CD. I can't eject the CD though once it's mounted. I'll have to look into that.
    to eject the cd, you have to unmount first. in rox, you can right click on the cdrom folder in /media (i made a shortcut for this folder on my desktop ... see attached screenshot) and select unmount. then you can eject the cdrom. or you can just unmount it with the cli:
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/cdrom
    i noticed a significant increase in time required to load the icewm desktop after enabling ivman and automounting my nfs shares. desktop still loads faster than xubuntu, and once it's loaded ... she still screams.

Quote Originally Posted by eeried View Post
    PS: Hello, Christoos, I think Fluxbox instead of IceWM should be included in Ubuntu Lite for lightness sake (and Fluxbox rocks!)
    i'm not a developer, i have just adopted this thread because i love how icewm revived my old laptops.

but i do know that icewm was chosen because of it's more shallow learning curve. believe me, i know fluxbox rocks (come on ... see through panels anyone?), but icewm is much easier for a first time user who just wants to browse, send email, and chat.

here's my current screen shot. auto mounted home folder, auto mounted nfs, auto mounted usb thumb drive, and auto mounted cdrom on the desktop ... using the GreenBuntu theme.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	icedesktop.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	18608  
    Last edited by dmizer; October 31st, 2006 at 11:42 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

v
    Last edited by ipok; November 4th, 2006 at 05:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Tried this HOWTO on an 6.10 command line install but when i try to install the ubuntu-lite-desktop I get an error E: Broken Packages with a whole lot of Depends: ... but it is not installable

What might be wrong?

SOLVED forgot to uncomment additional repositories.
    Last edited by HydroDiOxide; November 17th, 2006 at 06:16 PM.
    "Overspecialize and you breed in weakness..." Major Motoko Kusanagi

Beans

My internet keeps going out with Ubuntu Lite. It works until I try to startX... I only know it works in the CLI because I can spt-get

Any tips?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by lemonsCC View Post
    My internet keeps going out with Ubuntu Lite. It works until I try to startX... I only know it works in the CLI because I can spt-get

Any tips?
    you're probably getting stuck with ipv6, but i'm not sure.

open firefox and browse to about:config
    search for ipv6 and disable it by double clicking on it.
    restart firefox and try again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kultex View Post
    [...]
    SHUTDOWN: after login you will have problems to turn off your computer, because the halt of the shutdown menu is not working.

open xterm

$ sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now

it will shut down - with sudo /sbin/shutdown -r now it will reboot

to make it more easy for the next sessions:

you open xterm:

$ sudo visudo

you add the following line:
    your_username ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /sbin/shutdown

to save press F2 to exit F10

$ sudo mousepad /etc/X11/icewm/preferences

you insert the following lines to the 6.th line of the document

ShutdownCommand="/sbin/shutdown -h now"
    RebootCommand="/sbin/shutdown -r now"

you save the document, restart iceWM.
    Shutdown and reboot from strg+alt+del - menu are now working
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [...]
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [...]
    SECURITY: Copy the files /etc/X11/icewm/menu+toolbar+preferences with emelfm or rox to $HOME/.icewm since modifications to this file will be discarded when you (re)install icewm.
    [...]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    AUTOMOUNT with ivman:
    [...]
    in rox it works perfect - in emelfm you can not unmount the devices
    ]
    First of all, thanks for the instructions, Kultex. Everything didn't work for me, though.

As for SHUTDOWN: "sudo /sbin/shutdown -h now" does not work for me. If I run it from a terminal I end up in console where the last text is like this: my_computer_name login [3783.010513] Power down. It does not help, if I add P option for shutdown command. I did also the changes "to make it more easy for the next sessions", but only login does work in the login screen . My best option is to exit to login screen, press Alt-SysRq-s Alt-SysRq-u Alt-SysRq-b and power button during reboot to turn off computer, I guess. Is it critical to put the two lines in /etc/X11/icewm/preferences exactly starting at the 6th line of the file? Is it neccessary to restart IceWM; isn't reboot enough? BTW. strg is better known as Ctrl.

As for SECURITY: If I copy the files like you suggest, and modify e.g. /etc/X11/icewm/toolbar the changes do not take place; I have to modify the copy under home directory.

As for AUTOMOUNT: I can not unmount USB flash drive. In terminal, umount command outputs
    umount: /media/USB DISK is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
    . I wonder , if it is safe to remove the drive without unmounting. Anyway, if I do, the mount point disappears from /media directory.

BTW: During bootup I get this message: [ 42949372.960000] ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP.
    How do you copy text from XTerm to another application?

Beans

Is it possible to upgrade Ubuntu Lite to Edgy or other later ubuntu version? At least HydroDiOxide has reported in this thread he has applied this howto for ubuntu 6.10...

What is the best way to keep Ubuntu Lite updated? Is it "sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade" regularly?!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This method worked for me to enable shutdown/reboot from the login screen:
    http://www.opensubscriber.com/messag...m/2579245.html

I had a problem with Xubuntu6.10 shutting down completely, haven't heard of the problem with Dapper, but here was the fix:
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...light=shutdown

Also, you'd need to use sudo to umount your USB DISK:
    Code:
    sudo umount /media/USB
    or wherever it's mounted.

Here's some instructions for using the pico editor(I think it's similar to nano):
    http://www.lowfatlinux.com/linux-editor-pico.html

man nano may give some useful instructions...

Also, you may want to save the output of commands in terminal to a text file, e.g.
    Code:
    lsmod > lsmod.txt
    That way, you'll have a text file with the command output saved to a text file that you can refer to.
    Last edited by confused57; January 22nd, 2007 at 09:24 PM.

Beans

Thanks, confused57. I had to do the both tricks to be able to properly shut down. I installed ubuntu-lite-desktop on top of ubuntu server 6.06.1 and later updated system in terminal by
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude upgrade

In contrary what you say, I can mount USB DISK without sudo. It happens automatically when I stick an USB flash drive in and then click its mount point in rox or emelfm. (I have done what has been told in the AUTOMOUNT section of these instructions.) Only when I would like to unmount the USB DISK before removing it physically I get the described error.
    Last edited by jis; January 22nd, 2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: To be more specific; fixed a typo, too

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by confused57 View Post
    Also, you may want to save the output of commands in terminal to a text file, e.g.
    Code:
    lsmod > lsmod.txt
    That way, you'll have a text file with the command output saved to a text file that you can refer to.
    OK, but in Xubuntu's terminal you can copy-paste any text by right-clicking the text selected by mouse. I guess this kind of behavior is not possible in Ubuntu lite.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast