Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] multiple problems in firefox 3.0.2 (not sure if they are related)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: multiple problems in firefox 3.0.2 (not sure if they are related)

Maybe it isn't the best place to do that, but...
    1) Fx3 uses LESS resources than Fx2. Less a lot, at least for me. Moreover, this is Fx2 which is slow and resource-demanding
    2) I haven't seen any problems with Flash and Java
    3) It has a lot of useful features, and one of the most useful is the Awesomebar. I cannot live without it now
    4) Fx 3.1 is about to be released within a month. It is how should Fx 3.0 look like, but developers didn't manage to do everything on time. You can download a new version and try it

Why do I say it? I know there are people that prefer Fx2 to Fx3. But: I consider Fx3 A LOT better than Fx2, and a lot people does the same. So don't post things like "Fx3 is a crap", since there are a lot of people than don't agree with You; besides, You're not helping this way.

EOT.

And I agree with CatKiller, in most cases just renaming .mozilla folder works.
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mgol View Post
    Maybe it isn't the best place to do that, but...
    1) Fx3 uses LESS resources than Fx2. Less a lot, at least for me. Moreover, this is Fx2 which is slow and resource-demanding
    Well, that's you. I observe just the opposite on my system.
    2) I haven't seen any problems with Flash and Java
    You don't, I do. Some other people don't, some other people do. What's your point?
    3) It has a lot of useful features, and one of the most useful is the Awesomebar. I cannot live without it now
    Good for you. Oh, by the way - yawn.
    4) Fx 3.1 is about to be released within a month. It is how should Fx 3.0 look like, but developers didn't manage to do everything on time. You can download a new version and try it
    I hope you're right and it's an improvement over the current release. 3.03 works; I use it. I think the main problem I have with it is the lack of theming and extension options - everything seems to be stuck in the FF2 phase.

Why do I say it? I know there are people that prefer Fx2 to Fx3. But: I consider Fx3 A LOT better than Fx2, and a lot people does the same. So don't post things like "Fx3 is a crap", since there are a lot of people than don't agree with You; besides, You're not helping this way.
    Some people don't, some people do. You don't, but I do. Again - what's your point? Opinions are like buttholes - everybody has one. Who are you to deride me for having mine?
    EOT.

And I agree with CatKiller, in most cases just renaming .mozilla folder works.
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Where were all you guys with your advice when OP was bumping his second thread on the topic for two days? I figured he might just as well skip a step and go for what will most likely work, rather than the minimal-effort, probably-might-sorta-kinda-work (we hope) option.
    Last edited by detroit/zero; November 16th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
    I switched to Windows because of all the disappointment Linux brought me.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by detroit/zero View Post
    Where were all you guys with your advice when OP was bumping his second thread on the topic for two days?
    Playing a gig and engineering a gig, respectively. What's your point? Let's just keep it civil, shall we, and concentrate on helping people the best we can?
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Playing a gig and engineering a gig, respectively. What's your point?
    The point is that the guy had been bumping a thread for a couple days and hadn't gotten any advice, so I gave him a solution that I can 99% guarantee will work.

Duh.
    I switched to Windows because of all the disappointment Linux brought me.

Beans
    Distro

The point is that the guy had been bumping a thread for a couple days and hadn't gotten any advice, so I gave him a solution that I can 99% guarantee will work.

Duh.
    I'm certain that you read my suggestion to be civil.

It is generally frowned upon to create multiple threads on the same topic, and bumping a thread too frequently is just rude.

We are all volunteers here. No one is asking you what was so important that you couldn't help this particular poster at any point in the last few days. Why do you feel the need to criticise others?

A debate on the relative merits of Firefox 3 to Firefox 2 is not really relevant in this thread. If the two of you want to discuss that, then there are many other threads that you can participate in.

Re-installing the firefox package won't necessarily achieve anything, since the configuration is in ~/.mozilla, and isn't touched by that process. You suggested deleting that folder, I suggested just calling it something else. Both methods achieve the same result - getting a fresh profile. There's no source of conflict here. The only difference is that if the problem persists, because it's caused by something completely different, perhaps, the old profile is easy to restore if the folder is still there.

Please stay on-topic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Opinions are like buttholes - everybody has one. Who are you to deride me for having mine?
    I didn't intend to deride You. I just wanted to say that some people prefer Fx3 to Fx2, others Fx2 to Fx3. And just saying that Fx3 is a crap and this is a source of all the problems wasn't were appropriate, IMHO. But ok, maybe I overdid with that all; I didn't want to offend anybody - If I did, I'm sorry for that.

I don't consider bumping to be nice. Many people have problems and they just wait until there is sb to help. Bumping is like saying 'Hurry up, how long do I have to wait?!?', and - IMHO - it offends all those people that tries to help others every day.
    Michał Gołębiowski
    Dell Latitude E6500: P8600 | Intel GMA 4500MHD | 15,4'' 1440x900 LED (matte) | 4GiB DDR2 | 233 GiB HDD 7200 rpm (with Free Fall Sensor).
    Jabber ID: mgol /at/ jabster.pl - let me write in within my profile details, please!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wow, before I was checking my thread like every 1-3 hours, and now, the first time I don't check my thread for like a day it gets exciting, haha. I guess it's true what they say about how "a watched pot never boils"

First of all, thank you, everyone, for the advice, suggestions, input, etc. I'm sorry that things got negative, I hope I didn't say anything provocative. I am new at posting threads of my own and I want to do things right, so I've taken note of everything everyone said and will keep it in mind in the future.

As far as the bumping and multiple threads go, I do apologize if I did anything rude. I read and reread the Forums Code of Conduct because I didn't want to do anything annoying or wrong, and I was very hesitant to bump or re-post, but someone who has done more posting than I told me it's ok to bump or re-post as long as you aren't doing it constantly. I don't think I did it excessively, and I know I tried to do it sensibly, but I apologize if my behavior was in any way inappropriate. (And if you have any suggestions/guidelines about this to offer, I'm all ears/eyes.)

Back to the main topic: A friend of mine happened to make the same suggestion as CatKiller, and he indicated that even if I uninstall/reinstall FF, I wouldn't be starting fresh as far as my User Profile goes, and he said he thought it sounded like I had User Profile issues. So, I think I will try that first. I also want to try what detroit/zero suggested about my mirrors. I will post back here soon when I have done this.

Thank you again for all the input, and sorry I was AWOL for a few hours!
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    Dell Inspiron E1405 Intel Core Solo Processor T1300
    1gb ram

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: multiple problems in firefox 3.0.2 (not sure if they are related)

So, I re-named the directory, started over, imported my old bookmarks, re-installed my favorite add-ons, and so far, so good When I closed and re-started Firefox, it opened maximized like normal, and I can add Bookmarks (and "All Tabs") I can Organize Bookmarks, and everything. The only thing left to try out is Update Manager, but I have a different thread going for that.

Thank you, everyone, for all your suggestions and input. I still may try the "Software Sources" mirrors thing, especially if I still can't install all updates and so on.

SOLVED (for now...)
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    1gb ram

Beans
    Distro

Glad to hear it.

You can mark the thread as Solved with the Thread Tools at the top of the page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Oh crap, sorry. I meant to and forgot. Doing now!
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    1gb ram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12