Thread: [SOLVED] Reinstalling Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

[SOLVED] Reinstalling Ubuntu

Hey,

What is the most efficient and safest method to reinstall Ubuntu 8.04 on a system that already has Ubuntu 8.04 on it. Note that this system has four partitions:
    - / root partition
    - /home partition
    - swap partition
    - Back up partition

Obviously, I do not want to lose the contents of the back-up and /home directory.

Another question, once I reisntall ubuntu 8.04, will the settings saved in my home directory affect my new installtion? or create any system conflicts?

any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by newbuntuxx; November 14th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.

Beans

Re: Reinstalling Ubuntu

When you reinstall Ubuntu, pick Manual when you get to the partition screen. Then, mount the first partition to / and format it to ext3. Mount the second partition to /home as ext3 but DO NOT format it. In other words, there shouldn't be a check mark in the box before the mount point. Then, mount the last partition to /backup or whatever mount point you want to use. And if there is no data on it, format it to ext3 filesystem as well. But if you want to keep all the backup files on that partition, then don't let the installer format that partition.
    In the world of Linux, who needs Windows and Gates...

Got most of my golden beans at an auction on eBay (with a couple of free drinks).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

When you reinstall ubuntu don't format the home or Back up partition just format your / partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

best thing to do is to start up the Live CD and then when you get to the part about partitions, to do it manually.

If you want to save your home and back up partition, dont format them, but do remember to mark the as what they are /home and /back up or what ever you named them to begin with

as for / just formate and install over that partition

Your settings within you home folder can do some fun things like preset up you panels, if all the icons and programs a preinstalled. Also what ever setting you had for some programs with be saved.

To be safe create a backup of you firefox shortcuts and any other data you dont want to get messed up

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by taurus View Post
    When you reinstall Ubuntu, pick Manual when you get to the partition screen. Then, mount the first partition to / and format it to ext3. Mount the second partition to /home as ext3 but DO NOT format it. In other words, there shouldn't be a check mark in the box before the mount point. Then, mount the last partition to /backup or whatever mount point you want to use. And if there is no data on it, format it to ext3 filesystem as well. But if you want to keep all the backup files on that partition, then don't let the installer format that partition.
    Excellent explanation!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you all for the excellent and detailed explanations. Thats what I had in mind...just wanted to confirm....

Beans

do what they told you. Indeed it's a great explanation and what is needed to be done.