Thread: Ubuntu / Kubuntu discussion

Beans

Ubuntu / Kubuntu discussion

Why do people always recommend 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop'??? It is a meta package that installs KDE, but also all of the Kubuntu branding stuff. That is why the loading screen now says Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu. Also I don't think you can uninstall meta pacakges directly...actually I am not sure about that.

If you want to install kde, just 'sudo apt-get install kde'. That works much better IMHO.

Personally I don't see why ubuntu and kubuntu are considered two different distributions. Why not just have a Gnome spin and a KDE spin?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ubuntu vs kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    Why do people always recommend 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop'??? It is a meta package that installs KDE, but also all of the Kubuntu branding stuff. That is why the loading screen now says Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu. Also I don't think you can uninstall meta pacakges directly...actually I am not sure about that.

If you want to install kde, just 'sudo apt-get install kde'. That works much better IMHO.

Personally I don't see why ubuntu and kubuntu are considered two different distributions. Why not just have a Gnome spin and a KDE spin?
    kde is also a metapackage so also cannot be easily removed.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu aren't considered different distributions. They are, in fact, as you suggest, a Gnome spin and KDE spin.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    kde is also a metapackage so also cannot be easily removed.
    Ah I didn't know that thanks. Though at least the kde package doesn't change your boot screens .

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Ubuntu and Kubuntu aren't considered different distributions. They are, in fact, as you suggest, a Gnome spin and KDE spin.
    They have different entries on distrowatch and have different websites. That isn't the case for other distros which provide gnome and KDE spins like Fedora, Mandriva or Suse. I think it confuses many users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Pacopag View Post
    ... I'd like to hear some of your opinions on which is better and for what reasons.
    Asking "which is better" isn't a very useful question, because they are both great and it's mostly a matter of what you're used to and personal preference. You really have to work with both GNOME and KDE yourself and experience them to find out what you like best.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    They have different entries on distrowatch and have different websites. That isn't the case for other distros which provide gnome and KDE spins like Fedora, Mandriva or Suse. I think it confuses many users.
    If you think they're confused now, just imagine how confused they'd be if they had to choose between Ubuntu blahblahblah edition, Ubuntu blehblehbleh edition, and Ubuntu mehmehmeh edition, because that's what they'd have to deal with if instead of just Ubuntu, you had Ubuntu KDE edition, Ubuntu Gnome edition, and Ubuntu Xfce edition.

When uninitiated users see Gnome, KDE, and Xfce, they might as well be seeing vnaifnvaln, gniogb,fb, and [jvivnovnqwklnv, for all they know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Ubuntu / Kubuntu discussion

As far as I remember the way openSUSE does it is install KDE by default, but if you're aware that GNOME even exists, you'll change it during the installation.

I think it's fine the way it is though. In the end, it IS the same operating system.

Beans

Was this split from another thread? The first few replies seem familiar xD

I just think you should download the live cd and install it on another partition in a dual boot system but the threads must be about what the OP wants, not what the replier wants

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, this was split from a support thread.