Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No weather and temperture icon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

No weather and temperture icon

Hello,

I have installed Intrepid on my Acer 5051 and have configured timezone on the system the same way as with the Clock applet. After checking these were both the same, there was no weather and temperature icon now. Even though I have checked the boxes within configuration.
    The strange thing is that I have a desktop computer which had Hardy installed with the weather and temperature icon. After upgrading this desktop to Intrepid these icons with configuration were still there ande working. So upgrading works, but fresh install does not. Somebody has a solution?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: No weather and temperture icon

I couldn't get the weather displayed via the clock but was able to with the weather applet in add to panel, right click on panel-add to panel-weather. I have a fresh install on this computer, o the 2 others it was a upgrade and it showed in the clock as you describe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It is now a two-part process to setup the weather.

Part 1 is setting the clock up, which is now done through System > Administration > Time and Date. This is where you can setup NTP support. In Hardy, you used to be able to do this by right-clicking on the time display in the upper panel.

Part 2 is setting up the weather display. Right-click the display of the time (mine is in the upper panel on the right). If you select Preferences, then you can setup the location and weather information.

Hope this helps,
    "Always take the high road! That way, nothing will hit you when the brown, gooey stuff hits the fan."
    Setup some common software: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/fballem

Beans
    Distro

That has worked for me too. Adding the weather applet from "Add to panel". I think that this one works better than the one with the clock, since this one gives me locations with weather stations to select from. Why is this not implemented in the weather icon form clock applet? I can remember that this worked with Hardy. Could this be a regression bug?

Tux

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Frankleee for the advice, but I am already aware of this procedure and the location of what to enable. I can imagen that this way of configuration is not userfriendly. Or am I mistaken? Is'nt it possible to add a list of locations with weatherstations to the configuration of the clock applet dependent on the time zone that is configured within the system?

Tux

Beans
    Distro

I have been adding my coordinates and location to the clock applet, but that does not give me the disired icons. Does anybody know how to debug this. When ticking the weather and temperature icon in Preferences I see a shift of the time text, but nothing is to be seen.

Tux

Beans
    Distro

The weather for your home location was displayed with 8.04 but isn't in 8.10 - just one of many niggling little bugs still left. But updates are still coming out thick and fast, so the devs are working on it all.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Beans
    Distro

Ok, fair enough. Can I help solving this? I am trying to figure out how I can debug this applet with dstrace and gdb. The clock applet is a module of gnome-panel. Can I use gdb by issuing the following command :
    gdb /usr/lib/gnome-panel/libclock-applet.so [pid of gnome-panel]

Tux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I just figured out how to make the sucker work in Intrepid if it's being overly recalcitrant. I have no idea why it works, but it did, on two separate (fresh) Intrepid installs.

Make sure you have time zones set congruently and such, and make sure you've set a location through the clock applet's preferences. Then click the applet so the calendar comes down. Now, click "Locations" to drop down the nifty sunshine map thing.

At the bottom of that area, you should see the weather information you so ardently wish to appear in the unexpanded version of the applet. There's a button nearby it that says "Set" (it may be hidden until you mouse over it -- it's to the right of the city name) Click it. It will turn into a house once you put in your password, and voila! Weather!
    Last edited by Dynaflow; November 21st, 2008 at 05:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I've tried everything including removing all locations except home and nothing makes the weather appear.
    Desktops: AMD64X2 3GB RAM 500GB SATA2 GeForce9400GT - P4 HT 3.2Ghz 1GB RAM 250GB IDE + 2x160GB SATA ATI Radeon X740XL - Laptop AMD AthlonXP 1.6 512MB RAM 120GB HD ATI M200

Gina's Ubuntu HowTo's for beginners (and reference)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast