Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Devilspie (version 0.13 and greater) s-expressions examples

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Wiki Page!

Quote Originally Posted by sup
    I wrote a Wiki page about Devil's Pie: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Devilspie
    Feel free to improve it, it was my first wiki written from the scratch and I am not a native English speaker either so there are probably some gramatical and conceptual mistakes. Table of contents would be nice too. Also, it would need some examples and actual info how to use Devil's pie, I consider this to be just a beginning.
    I added it to the first post for people to check out. Looks good, thanks!

Beans

Re: Devilspie (version 0.13 and greater) s-expressions examples

Devil's Pie worked great fro me. However I have recently installed a nightly build of Firefox instead of 1.5 release version. I also have 1.5 Thunderbird installed.

I set devilspie so that firefox should open on the 1st desktop and thunderbird on the second. If I call these programmes from menu or lancher panel it is fine, but if I click on the link in thunderbird, it opens firefox on the second desktop. Moreover it moves firefox to the second desktop if it is already open. Does anyone know why is that?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

I started with this version some times ago but i stil can't find an answer to the thing i wanna do :
    I'd like to only move all the firefox windows that aren't the main one, i mean for example the download window or the extension window.

But my problem is that i wanna move them for example in the middle of the screen without resizing them :

I made a rule like this one

Code:
    (if (matches (application_name) "Firefox") and (not matches (window_name) "Firefox$" )( geometry "387x302+161+162" ))
    But of course it resizes the windows.
    So i was wondering if they were an action to only move a window.

I think it is not possible so maybe a good idea would be to be possible to use arguments ... for example the actual size of the window.

Maybe something to add to devil's pie
    Thanx a lot for your help and your tutorial which is really helpfull.

Oh by the way as i am on and amd64 ubuntu i made a deb for devil's pie using checkinstall.
    I join it so it could be useful for some people
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fabs0028
    I started with this version some times ago but i stil can't find an answer to the thing i wanna do :
    I'd like to only move all the firefox windows that aren't the main one, i mean for example the download window or the extension window.

But my problem is that i wanna move them for example in the middle of the screen without resizing them :

I made a rule like this one

Code:
    (if (matches (application_name) "Firefox") and (not matches (window_name) "Firefox$" )( geometry "387x302+161+162" ))
    But of course it resizes the windows.
    So i was wondering if they were an action to only move a window.

I think it is not possible so maybe a good idea would be to be possible to use arguments ... for example the actual size of the window.

Maybe something to add to devil's pie
    Thanx a lot for your help and your tutorial which is really helpfull.

Oh by the way as i am on and amd64 ubuntu i made a deb for devil's pie using checkinstall.
    I join it so it could be useful for some people
    I think you can just omit the first two parameters. So something like:
    geometry "+161+162" should only move the window and not resize it. You may also want to experiment with the "center" action instead.
    Last edited by jrib; January 2nd, 2006 at 03:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Can anyone tell me how to make a "match all" rule? I'm trying to force ALL windows to open in the centre of the screen. I can make individual windows do it but I don't want to make rules for every single app.
    openSuse 10.0 - Kanotix/Debian Sid - Ubuntu Dapper - Fedora Core 5

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fannymites
    Can anyone tell me how to make a "match all" rule? I'm trying to force ALL windows to open in the centre of the screen. I can make individual windows do it but I don't want to make rules for every single app.
    does the ubiquitous '*' work?
    So... a 1337 java programmer walks into a bar...

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Unfortunately not. Neither does the "always" option from the older version of devilspie (or any, all "" " " and many others I've tried)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I have not yet used devilspie, but I have an idea of a work-around for that. Its not the best solution, by all means, but it may just work.

what about something like

(if (not matches (application_name) "a_nonexistent_application") .....)

If I read all this correctly, that should do whatever actions you put in there to everything that is not called "a_nonexistent_application", which should be everything.

Or skip the if () section. Don't know if that works tho, due to the fact that i don't have devilspie
    Last edited by Azriphale; January 13th, 2006 at 11:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

It sounded like a good plan but still not working.

[EDIT] Worked it out, I need $
    Code:
    (if (matches (application_name) "$") (begin (center)))
    [EDIT again} Well that's strange, it was working, I tried about 10 different apps and they all opened centred but after a reboot it won't work anymore.
    Also, unfortunately, using devilspie the windows open in a corner somewhere then jump to the centre of the screen which isn't pretty. I'll keep playing around with it.
    Last edited by fannymites; January 13th, 2006 at 02:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fannymites
    It sounded like a good plan but still not working.

[EDIT] Worked it out, I need $
    Code:
    (if (matches (application_name) "$") (begin (center)))
    [EDIT again} Well that's strange, it was working, I tried about 10 different apps and they all opened centred but after a reboot it won't work anymore.
    Also, unfortunately, using devilspie the windows open in a corner somewhere then jump to the centre of the screen which isn't pretty. I'll keep playing around with it.
    don't use any matcher, just do (I think this should work just like example 1 in my first post does):

Code:
    (center)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast