Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ubuntu intrepid on sony vaio z11wn

Beans

Re: ubuntu intrepid on sony vaio z11wn

Thanks a lot for your answer

There are few things to say concerning your answer:

1) The link to the howto doesn't work

2) Your explanation for the stamina/speed switch looks very similar to the standard one (explained in other posts) that didn't worked for most of us. Anyway I'll go through it, compare it with the former ones and see if it works.

My main problem is that I only have ubuntu in my laptop so I cannot follow the procedure of booting into windows to make it detect the card and then reboot to linux. My two lights are always off and I don't even know which card is using ubuntu. Knowing which one is under use would be a good starting point. Someone has an idea?

Greetz

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs up Re: ubuntu intrepid on sony vaio z11wn

Quote Originally Posted by pandora26 View Post
    Thanks a lot for your answer

There are few things to say concerning your answer:

1) The link to the howto doesn't work

2) Your explanation for the stamina/speed switch looks very similar to the standard one (explained in other posts) that didn't worked for most of us. Anyway I'll go through it, compare it with the former ones and see if it works.

My main problem is that I only have ubuntu in my laptop so I cannot follow the procedure of booting into windows to make it detect the card and then reboot to linux. My two lights are always off and I don't even know which card is using ubuntu. Knowing which one is under use would be a good starting point. Someone has an idea?

Greetz

ok, i corrected the link, it should be ok now.

about the switch:
    on my old laptop, i did install ubuntu with the switch on nvidia.
    once i got nvidia-card fully working, i dived into the stamina-switch thing.
    on that laptop things were like this:
    shut-down, switch to intel, boot, and it is intel working.
    the first script i had found on the net regarding stamina was useful, but when i would switch to intel, the xserver would crash before login. so i would always have to go to ctrl+alt+f1 and cp the right xorg.conf and restart gdm. so later i added this to the script and i had to do nothing.

i do not know why you have to go to windows to switch the card.
    but i hope this little how-to gives you some more inspiration on the way...

good luck.
    everything has an end, the sausage has two.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<"linux worms"

Beans

I will take the opportunity to report herein some other problems I've encountered the last two weeks in my vaio vgn z11-mn with ubuntu intrepid.

* The internal microphone is not working. I get no errors when testing it and apparently everything works fine but I never get to hear what I've recorded.

* I cannot reboot. It gets freezed in the last stage of the process.

* Fn+FX keys don't work. Just F2,F3 and F4 (related with volume) do their work. I've tried the workaround related with brightness without success.

* The Pro Magic Gate slots for memory cards don't work neither.

Does anyone has a solution for any of this problems?

Beans

* I cannot reboot. It gets freezed in the last stage of the process.
    In this case a BIOS Update helps.

* The internal microphone is not working. I get no errors when testing it and apparently everything works fine but I never get to hear what I've recorded.
    Microphone works fine here, maybe a BIOS/EFI issue to?

* Fn+FX keys don't work. Just F2,F3 and F4 (related with volume) do their work. I've tried the workaround related with brightness without success.
    Cannot help here, as for me neither of the Cards are working right.

* The Pro Magic Gate slots for memory cards don't work neither.
    Support for that should be in the new kernel.

HTH (If a little late )

Oli

Beans

Ok, I'll try the BIOS update but first things first: ¿Does someone happen to know how to do an upgrade without a windows partition? In VAIO website you can find instructions and executables for Windows, not for Linux goners

Beans

Hi,

I think BartPE with an integrated BIOS Updater would be the way to go. The catch is that you need another Computer running Windows to manufacture one. With this CD you could boot into Windows and then apply the BIOS-Update.

Greets

Oli

Beans

I just bought my Vaio Z today, looks great!

About both cards...What is the current state? I recon that it's not possible to make the switch, but are they working fine if we boot XP first? I mean, if I boot XP first in speed mode is the Geforce still working AND the intel turned off?

Beans

Just got BOTH GRAPHICS CARDS WORKING WITHOUT BOOTING XP first!

http://blog.shiftreduce.org/?p=13

Any doubts just ask!

Beans

You might want to have a look at http://www.basyskom.org/~eva/log_ins...io_z21vnx.html

Interesting work going on...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Would there be any possibility of someone taking that work and compiling a package for Ubuntu 9.04 that we Z11 users could install and get most of our issues working? I'm a bit of a newbie so it's just a question to the masses, but with my fingers crossed Probably a bit of a big ask!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123