Thread: [SOLVED] Add/Remove Programs

Beans

[SOLVED] Add/Remove Programs

Can someone tell me why i cant find add/remove programns nor synapatic package manager on my computer. Is it hidden or is it disabled?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Add/Remove Programs

What version are you running? Have you just installed it or did you have those menu items previously? Where have you looked for them?
    When someone says 'I cannot do this in Linux, the limitation is not in the software, but simply in their knowledge.'
    Linux User - 380191

Beans

I've installed Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 and they were on the menu at one point. Add/Remove Programs was under the Applications tab and Synapatic was under Administration

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well there is no reason that they should just disappear, so we'd better try to find them again

Applications->Accessories->Terminal and type the command 'gksudo synaptic'. It should ask for your password and then, hopefully, synaptic will burst into life. Let me know what happens, and what you see if it is not what we expect, please.
    When someone says 'I cannot do this in Linux, the limitation is not in the software, but simply in their knowledge.'
    Linux User - 380191

Beans

Oh my! It actually worked! Thank you, but one more thing..How do i bring back Add/Remove Programs?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Right-click on the Applications menu and select Edit Menus.

If the launcher for Add/Remove is there but unticked or unchecked, tick or check it.

If it's not there, add it.

Beans

Thank you! That made me feel kinda dumb now knowing that it was that easy, but at least I know how to find it now. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: [SOLVED] Add/Remove Programs

I'm glad that it's solved. Incidentally, do you have any idea what might have caused them to temporarily disappear?

Good luck, and I'll see you around the forums.
    Linux User - 380191

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Add/Remove Programs

I don't know, but when I needed to install something I could'nt find either of them so that's what brought me here. I don't know what I did that could have lead to them disappearing.