Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Announcing Gifta Laptops with Ubuntu 5.10

Beans

Announcing Gifta Laptops with Ubuntu 5.10

Hi everyone

We would like to announce that our store, Gifta, is offering Laptops, preinstalled with Ubuntu Linux 5.10

We are a store based in Belgium that specializes in gifts and gadgets, but with a strong focus on people, ecology and ethics.

We are offering two standard models, The Gifta Basic Laptop with an AMD Sempron processor and 512 MB of RAM and the Gifta Racer, a more powerfull machine with a AMD Turion. Custom configurations are also possible on request.
    All machines are preconfigured with Ubuntu Linux 5.10 (Breezy), OpenOffice 2 and have MP3 playback capabilities.

We can be found here:
    http://www.gifta.be
    info@gifta.be
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

Re: Announcing Gifta Laptops with Ubuntu 5.10

It's nice to see OEM's providing Ubuntu pre-installed – especially when it's only Ubuntu. Best of luck to you.

Beans

nice to see, maybe we could ask for a virtual shop as I see various vendors and there is no common place to
    1)find
    2)compare

failing that a wilki page of product vendors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Thats a good idea, but alas, most users will not bite for it. You should offer windows as an option, becuase by offering Linux only, you are cutting out a good chunk of would be sales. It's sad but its true.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Pirate
    Thats a good idea, but alas, most users will not bite for it. You should offer windows as an option, becuase by offering Linux only, you are cutting out a good chunk of would be sales. It's sad but its true.
    Yes but he did say "with a strong focus on people, ecology and ethics"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Awesome! I am very happy to see OEM offering Linux as the OS

Don't offer Windows. Windows is an insecure, bloated, buggy, unsafe system designed and distributed by a corporation which which willfully lies and violates the law at their leisure. Windows is garbage. I have been on Linux for years and have never had the need to use any Microsoft software. Linux is the future and Ubuntu ROCKS!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Pirate
    This is probably true, but we would rather fail then to earn our money by doing something unethical. Windows and the strategy of the company behind it go directly against our values, so we cannot justify offering it.

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

For those that are interested, I added full specs to the shop pages.

I can also say that Wireless works out of the box (no extra drivers).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Dutch Linux mag that just came out has Gifta in 1 of their articles about ordering laptops with pre-installed Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Nocturn: Congrats on offering a product that I would want o buy I am so sick of paying extra for windows I've switched to ebay as my source for computer equipment. (it's usually MUCH cheaper too)

Everyone: You might allready be largely aware of this, but there is a company that produces a product called the Open Desktop Workstatino (ODW). It is VERY linux friendly (can be ordered with a number of different linux varieties installed), and due to the PPC G4 processor, VERY unfriendly to windoze. And for the nostalgic, the base motherboard is pretty much the standard for Amiga OS 4. (yeah, they're still around) Pricey stuff, but nice.

http://www.pegasosppc.com/products.php
    Last edited by glug101; December 29th, 2005 at 06:28 PM.
    Adopt a post!! Click on the Unanswered Threads link and share the knowledge and love!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast